Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

dtindell
david tindell

(19 posts)

05/23/2008 09:45PM

Main British Car:

4 cylinder or 6 cylinder for a Triumph GT6
Posted by: dtindell
Date: September 18, 2008 06:52PM

I am thinking of changing my straight 6 from my gt6 to an American engine. Does anyone know the easiest v6 or 4 cylinder with automatic transmission to put in this car? Not worried about power, just want a reliable engine with automatic.

dwtr6v8
Don Watson
West Virginia
(305 posts)

12/07/2007 07:45AM

Main British Car:
1974 TR6 Ford 5.0 HO

authors avatar
Re: 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder for a Triumph GT6
Posted by: dwtr6v8
Date: September 19, 2008 07:50AM

Lots of options!

I would go with an EFI system, more work on the install but easy to run , maintain, and service.

A 4 cyl, Toyota 4AGE EFI, Ford 2.3, Honda VTec, although you may have issues with sourcing as you will be completing with the Tuner's out there.

In V6 cyl, a Ford 2.8 or Chevy S10 V6 but you will need to do some oil pan mods.

Don't be too quick to rule out the V8, the Ford 5.0 is small, light weitght, ton of after market parts, and can be sourced just about anywhere in the States.
(I'm bias here)

BritishV8's "How it was Done" section is an excellent resource and ideas as they "have been there and done that"!

[www.britishv8.org]

also at [www.triumphspitfire.com]

Keep us all posted as you progress!

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
Forest Lake, Minnesota, USA
(383 posts)

10/30/2007 02:27AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB '95 3.4L 'L32' SFI V6, GM V6T5 & 3.42 Limi

authors avatar
Posted by: BMC
Date: September 24, 2008 09:20PM

I did an L32 3.4L V6 SFI in a mid 1970s Spitfire. The problem with an auto is that the pan IS wider than the rails on the far outside! We went to a 5 speed T5 to avoid completely reworking the entire frame. If its got to be an auto to make it easier for the frame, thats in the way you drive it, NOT the way it shifts, but the way you shift it!! If its an auto for a different reason, then maybe thats okay.

If the GT6 frame is that same skinny in the middle 9", then your going to have serious work.

-BMC.

dtindell
david tindell

(19 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: September 25, 2008 08:16PM

I am not sure if it is the same frame, does anyone else know? I have seen some how is done with spits and gt6s did they run into the same problems. I prefer an automatic for a daily driver, which is my ultimate goal. Is there any to avoid the problem you mentioned, maybe a 4 cylinder?

cooks 7
Jon Cook
St. Louis, Mo
(28 posts)

03/03/2008 02:05PM

Main British Car:
1969 Triumph Gt6 GM Ls1

Posted by: cooks 7
Date: October 08, 2008 01:47PM

I am putting a LS1 (chevy aluminum V8) in a Gt6, so I am biased to the bigger side, but I was thinking about other engines before that. One option is a Honda S2000 motor, straight 4 rwd oriented fuel injected, light, good power. Otherwise if you are into American engines, there is the 4.3L v6 from the older cars/trucks, typhoon, syclone, lots of aftermarket parts, it's basically an old school 350 minus 2 cylinders, only problem with these is the iron block, if you are thinking about an auto trans you are adding some more weight as well as having fitment problems, so think about that. If you go with a run of the mill iron block 4 or 6 and an auto trans it will be a lot of work for not too much return imo.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6469 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: October 08, 2008 03:56PM

It's a GT6 so it really should have a 6 cylinder engine rather than a 4 or an 8. That really leaves you with 2 exceptional choices in an American engine, the chevy 60 degree V6 which has become quite popular, and the Buick V6, one of the 10 best engines of all time. The other guys here will tell you all about the chevy mill. The Buick, ranging in size from 198 cu.in up to 3800 cc has evolved considerably since it's introduction in the 60's and in it's most recent form is a thoroughly modern powerplant. Being a member of the smallblock Buick family it shares common components with them and is near identical in dimensions, missing 2 cylinders of course. It is available with the GM small corporate bellhousing so the newer transmissions will fit, and most of the BOP/Rover swap goodies will work just fine. It is also available with a blower as a factory option.

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2008 03:59PM by BlownMGB-V8.

dtindell
david tindell

(19 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: October 10, 2008 06:47PM

My main goal in th change over will be to make it a daily driver. I am looking to put in a low effort automatic and set it up for driving it back and forth to work. Speed and handling not a major concern for me. It sounds like it will be difficult to put in an automaitc. Does anyone know which engine combo has the smallest automatic transmission? I have seen a posting of a gt6 on this website with a ford automatic. Any advice is appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2008 08:26PM by dtindell.

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
(383 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: October 15, 2008 08:29PM

All automatics are wider than the Spitfire frame outside the rails!! I suspect that the GT6 is going to be very close to the same otherwise they would have had to redesigned the bodywork and the chassis completely meaning that they may have well made a new car- i would think...

You would have to reorganize the frame and body to get any auto in there. If your going to do that, dont look for the smallest, look for the Smartest!!! The smartest is going to be the right weight, power, gearing and longevity.

As far as an automatic, there are plenty that are reliable but what is the difference? I could start my MGB V6 in 3rd gear without much effort. I could shift from 1 to 3 to 5th if shifting is really a big hassle, but for me, if I think of shifting as a hassle, there are so many other hassles in these cars that i may as well drive a large SUV that will only have issues finding a parking spot in a tight parking lot. If I ever get to the point that I get a bad knee, hip or other driving issues, I may change my mind, but i am not there as of yet. Hopefully this does not sound bitter or corse, it's not meant to be.

-BMC.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6469 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: October 16, 2008 09:47AM

Automatics... yes, I can relate. If you have to sit in traffic holding a clutch pedal down it doesn't take long for an auto to start looking real good.

And the autos in new cars are really really good too. They shift when they should, they shift with the correct firmness for conditions, and they are remarkably efficient. How they got that way is no big secret, it's all in the computer controls. So if you're going that route the sensible thing to do is select a tranny with operating characteristics and gearing that you like and think would be a good match for your GT6, and then learn how to incorporate a suitable controller for it. Some are programmable which is a big plus when it comes time to tune it to your preferences. For GM that would probably mean the 4L60E although there might be another newer and better choice, I've fallen a bit behind on what's available. There are aftermarket controllers for them of course.

I'm stuck with the dinosaurs since I'm using a Buick 340 engine and the newer autos don't fit, but I aim to do some work on the control hydraulics to see if I can set up a shift by wire system. It's a tall order but maybe by next spring I'll have it figured out.

Jim

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
(383 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: October 16, 2008 10:01AM

Jim,

I am not an auto guy and my info is limited but the 4L60 is an earlier version of the 4L60-E. From my understanding, the 4L60 is a renamed 700R4. If this holds true, and if you can get a 700 that fits on your engine, maybe.........

I suppose there would be no such luck.

My next idea would be to create an adapter for a 4L60-E or a 4L80-E to fit behind your system. I would think that would be easier than altering the inside of the box.

-BMC.

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: V6 Midget
Date: October 16, 2008 11:28AM

David, the Spitfire/GT6 chassis is not the easiest to work with for an engine swap. The main problem comes from interference with the steering gear for most swaps. You need a rear sump pan and will probably have to raise the front of most engines above where the optimal point would be to clear. Moving the steering rack creates more problems than it's worth for most people. There are a few Spits and GT6s in the newsletter for reference, but if you must swap then consider a small inline 4 from something like a small Toyota or Nissan along with the transmission of choice. Some of the auto boxes from the Japanese are pretty compact, a trip through the salvage yard with a pad of paper and a tape measure could save you a ton of headaches later. As Don said, the later EFI engines will give you the most reliable car and the best drivability, but unless you're pretty up on electronics and computers you might have problems. If you can find an engine which has been in production for enough years in the same basic form you can usually retrofit the earlier non-computer distributor and intake system if you want and upgrade to the EFI later as you get more experience. The latest engine designs don't have provisions for distributors so if you go with one of these you'll have to use the EFI. I considered a GT6 as a project at one time, but I decided based on the confines of the engine compartment and the "X" form chassis along with the relatively weak differential I'd go for something else that was easier to modify and leave the GT6 stock.

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
(383 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: October 16, 2008 10:57PM

I really liked the way the 3.4L V6 turned out in that Spit we did as far as location. You have to cut the firewall, but it all fit behind the rack, the weight should have been good placewise too.

-BMC.

tycorace
mark thompson

(45 posts)

05/31/2008 02:00AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: tycorace
Date: October 17, 2008 01:34AM

here is a thought out of the box . if you look at a spit and a gt6 frame and compare it to a tr 4 through the tr6 frame. they are very close to the same wheel base and about the same width and a lot stronger. they are set up for staight axle or irs . So why try to work with a week frame use one tht will take a v8 with out a major rework.

mark thompson

dtindell
david tindell

(19 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: October 17, 2008 12:45PM

Thanks for the help. Based on what has been posted here, it looks like I will need to go with the inline 4 cylinder automatic. Does anyone see problems with fitting this type of engine into a GT6?

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
(383 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: October 17, 2008 09:50PM

I don't know where your getting the idea that an I4 is the way to go... The auto behind a V6 is going to be no larger, just the same size. The GM 60 degree V6 was designed to be installed into cars that had 4 cyls so they are really no larger.You can fit a compact 60 degree V6 or a 4 cyl. The automatics are all going to require serious frame mods. The GM V6 is going to weigh about the same as a large I4. I4 is good, V6 is good too.

Food for thought.

-BMC.

dwtr6v8
Don Watson
West Virginia
(305 posts)

12/07/2007 07:45AM

Main British Car:
1974 TR6 Ford 5.0 HO

authors avatar
Posted by: dwtr6v8
Date: November 17, 2008 08:05AM

Check out what our fine brothers over at the 6-Pack forum are into.

[www.6-pack.org]

If the link does not work go to www.6-pack.org
go to forums
go to upgrades
go to ECOTEC powered Triumph

alana
alan atkinson
(232 posts)

06/19/2008 08:06PM

Main British Car:
68 TR250 LS2

authors avatar
Posted by: alana
Date: November 17, 2008 10:35AM

dwtr6v8 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Check out what our fine brothers over at the
> 6-Pack forum are into.
>
> [www.6-pack.org]
> ?t=7949&sid=3f1adf204ff5878d122158553e51e31e
>
> If the link does not work go to www.6-pack.org
> go to forums
> go to upgrades
> go to ECOTEC powered Triumph

To look at a v6 inside a TR, you could go to the guy's site also - [www.bowtie6.com] - there's a lot of good information about the GM v6 in there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2008 10:36AM by alana.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: November 17, 2008 12:12PM

"bowtie6" (aka Joseph Grant) sometimes posts here too, but he's so damned obnoxious...

I did ask him to write-up a "How It Was Done" article for us, but he couldn't be bothered.

In the 6-Pack forum thread y'all have linked to, he repeated an assertion that he seems to make often... (paraphrased) "V8's are nice but they're heavy, very heavy..." - which annoys me because I don't think he can back it up.

I suspect that the particular (aluminum) V8 that's in my MGB is lighter than the iron-block GM V6 that's in his TR6.

Besides, one could just as easily have ranted: "Triumph TR6 engines are nice, but they're heavier than many V8's..." My point is that whether you install an Ecotec, a GM V6, a Rover V8, or a Ford 302 with aluminum heads - you're still likely to come out lighter than stock. But apparently Joseph Grant isn't will to stop. His own website still erroneously asserts: "As others have done, a possible alternative would be V8 power. For me that was not an option due to the extra weight. The mass of a V8 would upset the handling and balance of the TR6 and this was not something I was willing to give up." Bollocks!

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6469 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 17, 2008 01:28PM

Likewise, Ecotecs are nice but they're weak, very weak ;-P
and custom frames made from 1/8" wall square tubing are nice but they're massive and heavy, very heavy ;-p.

Reminds me of a certain group of BMW enthusiasts who think anything else is crap.

Makes about as much sense, doesn't it? Ignorance is bliss or so I've heard. But on the other hand, to make any real progress sometimes it takes a good set of blinders. Without knowing where someone's going I sure wouldn't try to point out the way. Well, maybe I would but I'd try not to.

Jim

danmas
Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee
(578 posts)

10/28/2007 12:11AM

Main British Car:
1974 MGBGT Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: danmas
Date: November 17, 2008 02:07PM

Moderator Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> (quoting Joseph Grant):
> "As others have done, a
> possible alternative would be V8 power. For me
> that was not an option due to the extra weight.
> The mass of a V8 would upset the handling and
> balance of the TR6 and this was not something I
> was willing to give up." Bollocks!

Double bollocks!

As a matter of fact, a Ford 302 with aluminum heads, complete, ready to run, weighs 35 pounds LESS than the stock TR6 engine. A T5 transmission with bellhousing weighs ten pounds more than the stock TR6 transmission/bellhousing, for a net LOSS of 25 pounds over stock. I know, I weighed them all myself.
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.