Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Good News / Bad News
Posted by: Moderator
Date: November 15, 2007 07:38PM

I got some of each via e-mail last night.

First the good news: Jason Norman sent me photos of his brand new paint job and it's pretty spectacular. I've uploaded eight photos to his page in the gallery (you'll have to scroll down to see them all - and it's absolutely worth it!!! He tells me he the color is a home-brew. First he painted it charcoal, then overlaid a dye coat, and then clear urethane over that. Here's the direct link: [www.britishv8.org]

Now for the bad news: Ken Morris's Chevy-350 powered TR6 got hit pretty bad. I don't have any details on how it happened, but the photos ain't pretty. (I'll paste one below.) Ken wasn't hurt. He's in negotiation with the insurance company... I hope this car gets put back together and becomes better than new.

Guys... be careful, and be safe!
(Don't forget that seatbelts, headrests, and other safety equipment save lives. Please use them.)
KenMorris.jpg

nomoretr6
Ken Morris

(2 posts)

01/27/2008 08:04PM

Main British Car:

Re: Good News / Bad News
Posted by: nomoretr6
Date: January 27, 2008 08:46PM

It was a hard lick....unfortunantly a total loss. The entire rear clip including the doors, top frame & chassis. The wheel base was 1" shorter from the left side to right. The full size spare protected us from serious injury it absorbed the brunt of the impact. Of course, as Curtis mentioned, SEAT BELTS & HEADRESTS did their job.
It's amazing the time it took to assemble (3-1/2 years) vs. the time it took to destroy it! (nano seconds). We were on the home streach of a 4 hour ride when the wreck occured....2 lane hilly road,I stopped for a vehicle turning left, my eyes glued to the rear view, the car turned, I began to accelerate, eyes front, heard tires squeal... and before I could look up.... wham!
I drive tens of thousands of miles per year in 3 different vehicles...I drove the TR once every 2 months. It only had 3200 miles on it since the completion. I think now I will take up basket weaving! This was my 3rd TR6 and the two prior also ended in wrecks. At the hands of others. Maybe I should find a Peterbuilt or an old Sherman to build.
Good luck, Ken

p.s.
A word of advice regarding insurance.....You need to have your prize possession appraised and get agreed value coverage and not stated value. I did have coverage with Haggarty @ agreed amount however, not near what I had invested. The person that hit me was covered and their settelment $$ were very poor to say the least.

74ls1tr6
Calvin Grannis
Elk Grove,CA
(1151 posts)

11/10/2007 10:05AM

Main British Car:
74 TR6 / 71 MGB GT TR6/Ls1 71 MGB GT/Ls1

authors avatar
Re: Good News / Bad News
Posted by: 74ls1tr6
Date: January 29, 2008 12:09AM

Hi Ken,

I understand fully what you have been through!...just not 3 times. I'm on my second and probably my last TR6. My first one was a TR250, was hit by the hands of a drunk in the rear like your last one.

When I read your post... it him home with me...I couldn't imagine having this happen 3 times. The first time taught me material posessions can be replaced...but 3 1/2 years of planing and time + $$$ can make not want to do it again. Maybe it would be better to just buy one already done.

They are such a joy to drive them.....not to be hit in the back end with them....that is just not right but it can happen. As today I have this fear of not wanting to drive my TR6 when finished and I thought there was only a few that this has happened to.

I ride a my Honda Valkyrie in the summer at times. This has given me a whole new perspective of driving on the roads,...always thinking way ahead and leaving huge distances away from everything....but it still can happen at the hands of others or maybe even myself.

Great tip on insurance!

It would be nice to see you come back in this forum somday with another TR6 or some brit car...this would even give me joy seeing that.

I share the pain,

Calvin

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.