Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

jattr6
James Tabor

(2 posts)

09/10/2015 01:00PM

Main British Car:

TR4A V8 - Is the owner on this board
Posted by: jattr6
Date: September 10, 2015 01:42PM

Hi.

I stumbled on this beautiful TR4A the other day....this is OLD news and probably mentioned on here many times.
[www.californiaclassix.com]

I don't see this car listed on the owners list. Anyone know this car/owner now?
I wonder what something like this sold for? It actually has given me the bug for a V8. I have owned my TR6 23 years now...I have always loved 250's and 4A's though. Well, I may need tyo keep my eye out for one that is equipped with a V8 or find one priced well enough to change over.

epeppy
Ed Peppard
Woodlawn, TN
(61 posts)

08/04/2008 08:35PM

Main British Car:
1975 TR6 Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: TR4A V8 - Is the owner on this board
Posted by: epeppy
Date: September 12, 2015 07:44PM

Hi James, and welcome to British V8. Don't know anything about the beautifully done TR4A but if you have a TR6... you can have an amazing car with a V8. I've had mine for 38 years and in 2008 decided it was time to upgrade to a V8. I always liked the car as a 6 cylinder but there is no comparison to the power of a mildly built V8 in one of these cars.

This people on this forum have a wealth of knowledge and would be more than willing to assist you.

Ed

jattr6
James Tabor

(2 posts)

09/10/2015 01:00PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: jattr6
Date: September 18, 2015 12:44PM

Hi Ed.

I am curious...how much would a V8 (say a Ford 302) and all the matching components (alternation, water pump, etc) cost?
I've always wondered if there was a setup from a Ford that is a perfect match to Triumphs. And when buying a replacement part, say an alternator...
does one go into a parts store and request an alternator for "xyz year/model car"?

What transmission would be best to use?

I may buy a Triumph without and engine/transmission to make this modification. Maybe a TR4 or 250.
I've always loved how American engines "feel" on older cars, I can imagine how it would feel in a Triumph.

Cheers.

James

IaTR6
Dennis Costello
Central Iowa
(191 posts)

12/29/2007 02:53PM

Main British Car:
'73 TR 6 '97 Explorer 5.0

Posted by: IaTR6
Date: September 19, 2015 11:23AM

James- I am in the process of converting a TR6 to a Ford 302 from a '97 Explorer. This question of cost is one that is very hard to answer since unlike a "typical" hotrod, there are no suppliers who can provide all the necessary items from a catalog. The swap requires considerable on the job engineering. For example: Ford low-mileage used engine @ $600, Then add engine modifications such as aluminum heads, changed oil pan, flywheel, clutch plate and pressure plate, starter, headers, alternator with custom bracket, transmission, custom driveshaft, VLSD differential, CV joint axles, and on and on.
I would think that if a person contemplating this project is not mechanically inclined and equipped enough to do the largest portion of the job him/herself, it is cost prohibitive. Unless, money is freely available, in which case you should probably buy something new. I am counting on the finished product to be one "I did it", unlike any other, which to me, is the value. As to a TR4 or 250, the TR4 is more common and perhaps acceptable, but many might say the 250, due to its limited numbers might be better as a restoration. In the end, it's your money and car.
Dennis

Sidecardoug
Doug Rowe
Northern Nevada
(51 posts)

07/04/2012 05:09PM

Main British Car:
1969 TR-6 Ford 302

Posted by: Sidecardoug
Date: September 20, 2015 08:23PM

James: One advantage to the TR6 over the TR4 is a longer engine compartment. Be aware that there is only one rear gear ratio available
which is 3.69:1. That is too low for a non-overdrive automatic, so you will need to go to an AOD or a manual trans - a 5speed would be best.

I have a TR6/302, unfortunately with a C4, and she really doesn`t like freeway cruising. Some things to consider- getting hot air out of the
engine compartment - a decent set of ceramic coated headers will help One of the newer high torque mini starters will help with exhaust clearance, and you will want to use a remote oil filter.

You may also want to use a remote filler surge tank for your radiator, to help keep from having air trapped in the system- the filler cap should always be the highest point in the cooling system. Summit Racing offers several tanks tbat will work. If you are going to do a custom radiator,
you can have one made for a remote filler tank. I am in the process of adapting my cooling system, which has a 65 Mustang radiator, to use a
remote filler surge tank. It will be fed from the manifold heater hose, and feed into the water pump return port, with an overflow line to an over flow tank. I will be using a 16 lb cap on the radiator, and a 13 lb cap on the surge tank. On my car, the surge tank will mount above the passenger
footwell.

I hope this post proves helpful.
Doug

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Posted by: 88v8
Date: September 21, 2015 04:20AM

The rear end can in fact be geared up slightly, with a 3.45, but without an o/d box it will still be a light-to-light car.
That deterred me from buying a TR6 with sbc that recently appeared over here.

And the factory Triumph rear end is not really up to a 302 anyway, so then a typical solution which you may already have in your own car, is the Nissan R200 LSD with Richard Good's mount kit. And of course the standard reinforcing of the diff mounts which no doubt you have also had done. But, again, the top gearing in the R200 is also 3.45, so then you have a strong diff but still the wrong gearing. Well, imagine driving your own car without the o/d. Pretty miserable going any distance.

And that's just one issue. Before you start on the hood clearance, the cooling, the exhaust, the steering, etc etc. Thing is, as has been said, this sort of conversion is an engineering job. Not a bolt-in.
Unless you have welding and fabrication skills and a lot of time, it will end up in the back of your garage half covered in dust sheets and totally covered in dust.

I do admire anyone who can successfully complete one of these cars.

Ivor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2015 04:32AM by 88v8.

epeppy
Ed Peppard
Woodlawn, TN
(61 posts)

08/04/2008 08:35PM

Main British Car:
1975 TR6 Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: epeppy
Date: September 21, 2015 12:25PM

James, as others above have said, from a cost standpoint it's really up to you. It can be a daunting task but it can be done. (I did it) Hopefully you have the mechanical ability to perform the majority of the work. I have the R200 diff with 3.69 gears and a T5 trans. Sustained highway driving is not a problem but fuel mileage would probably be better with different gearing. But I didn't build it to get great fuel mileage ;)

Ed

dbeliveau
Daniel Beliveau
Manchester NH
(33 posts)

07/18/2015 07:41PM

Main British Car:
1972 Triumph Stag, 1972 Ford 302 1974 Jensen Healey, Lotus 907 stroked to 2.2 Ltr,

authors avatar
Posted by: dbeliveau
Date: October 04, 2015 09:00PM

Doug
I recently acquired a Stag with a ford 302. I am very interested in how you are adapting your cooling system as I plan on doing the same
Thanks,
Dan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2015 09:03PM by dbeliveau.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.