Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

SPIN
Freddy Verhelst

(3 posts)

11/03/2008 02:10AM

Main British Car:

TR3A
Posted by: SPIN
Date: November 03, 2008 02:25AM

Hi-

I have a TR3A and will change my engine-can somebody say me what kind of engine I need to put in my car-
I will rollin evryday with my TR,so I prefer a 4 cyl.
many thanks
Freddy

SPIN
Freddy Verhelst

(3 posts)

11/03/2008 02:10AM

Main British Car:

Re: TR3A
Posted by: SPIN
Date: November 03, 2008 02:27AM

TR3.jpg

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: TR3A
Posted by: V6 Midget
Date: November 03, 2008 12:12PM

Freddy, I gather from your post that you are not located in the US, that does make engine choice a bit more difficult as I don't know what is available to you. I think I'd look at the dimensions of the Mazda MX5 (Miata) engine and transmission, should give you a great performing car with reasonable fuel mileage. If not that, then similar engines from Nissan, Toyota, or Honda would be about the same. If the Rover K series engines are available then those may well be an alternate, along with the Ford type 9 5 speed transmission. This swap is very popular in Midgets and MGBs in Britian.
The main problem you will encounter is probably integrating the electronic engine controls from a modern engine to the Triumph. If that is a problem then you might consider looking more closely at the Nissan and Toyota engines as some of these share the same basic design with older models that used conventional ignitions and carburetors that could be fitted.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.