Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

tr7v8mike
Michael Booth
Sydney, Australia
(18 posts)

02/22/2015 10:26PM

Main British Car:
1981 TR7 Rover 4.6

Best rear end for TR7 4.6 RV8
Posted by: tr7v8mike
Date: August 11, 2016 09:30PM

Hi,
I'm new to the site so I'll say hello and give a little description of the car. I have a 1981 TR7 which I've been working on for a couple of years and is my pride and joy. The car is my daily ride and great for club track days and touring with my wife (she doesn't know that yet). I'm a middle-aged bloke who wants a classic performance sports car, but not a dedicated race car. I hadn't worked on cars much prior to this one. Now I'm totally hooked.

So far I have done the following: roll bar, heat and sound insulation to the cabin, new AC, Bluetooth and hands-free phone, linear actuators for the head lights, electric mirrors, integrated electric water pump and fan. I'm almost finished with the new engine. Its a 4.6L RV8 out of a P38 Range Rover, rebuilt with fully ported heads, 206 Crane camshaft, 10:1 CR pistons, Magnecor leads, 2.5L swirl pot, high-volume sump and oil pump, oil cooler and new oil pressure gauge up on the dash. I've had a crack at restoring and installing a Lucas 14CUX EFI with a Tornado chip from Mark Adams (one of nature's gentlemen). All I have to do is work out why its idling at 3500 rpm. T5 transmission that's just been completely re-built.

What I'm really looking for help with is the rear end. The more I read, the more confused I get. I've done searches on the website but I'm not a lot clearer. Want I would like is a LSD that will tolerate the torque on hill climb days, be tractable and geared for city driving and still be good for touring. I need to set it up for rear disks and 5-stud wheels. Nothing too exotic or expensive. Am I asking for the bloody impossible?

Really looking forward to your advice. Oh, I live in Sydney so would really prefer something I can get here.

Cheers

Mike

tr8todd
Todd Kishbach

(390 posts)

12/04/2009 07:42AM

Main British Car:

Re: Best rear end for TR7 4.6 RV8
Posted by: tr8todd
Date: August 11, 2016 11:05PM

Don't know whats available down there, but here in the US, the Ford 8.8 rear end is the easy button. Available in every junk yard. Just about every street rod has one. Tons of gear ratios available. Once you get the Ford 5 bolt pattern on the rear, you can adapt trailer hubs with the same bolt pattern to fit on the front. There is a member on this board that seems to have originated the trailer hub adaptation and has written something up. I'm exploring the option of using Wilwood aluminum hubs designed for a Dodge A body. [www.wilwood.com]

Dan B
Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV
(1007 posts)

11/06/2007 01:55PM

Main British Car:
1966 TR4A, 1980 TR7 Multiport EFI MegaSquirt on the TR4A. Lexus V8 pl

authors avatar
Posted by: Dan B
Date: August 12, 2016 09:01AM

Hi Mike and welcome!

I am working on a 1uz conversion, inspired by Rodney Wells' car. He is a ways from you, but he is in Oz. There used to be a forum at TriumphTR7.com that had a lot of good information on it, and many posters from Australia. The forum there went away but I think some of it was migrated over to TR7Triumph.com. People use SD1 differentials and Quaife

jclay
Clay Thompson

(1 posts)

08/17/2016 09:52PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: jclay
Date: August 17, 2016 10:02PM

Ah! You need to talk to "Hasbeen" He is on the new Triumph tr7 forum. ( [www.tr7triumph.com] ) He has done the some thing to his TR7 V8 using parts from Austria. Bye the bye, what activators did you use for your headlights?

Clay

Dan B
Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV
(1007 posts)

11/06/2007 01:55PM

Main British Car:
1966 TR4A, 1980 TR7 Multiport EFI MegaSquirt on the TR4A. Lexus V8 pl

authors avatar
Posted by: Dan B
Date: August 18, 2016 08:21AM

Good to see you on here, Clay! I hope you are doing well.

TeamEvil
Thomas Canty

(34 posts)

03/07/2012 02:01PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: TeamEvil
Date: October 14, 2016 02:31PM

If you're gonna do hill climbs you want a Dana 44 out of an old Postal Jeep/narrow format 80's Jeep.

They all have LSD, are as strong as can be (being both a Dana and a Jeep product,) information
/modification/parts for them are on every off-road forum in the world, they're as cheap as can be, and they have the five bolt older Ford lug pattern so wheels are everywhere.

Plus they don't need to be narrowed. A narrowed Ford is only as strong as your welding, a Dana 44 is Jeep Tough !

Luck—

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.