Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

ALV
Al Vandergoot
Sidney, British Columbia Canada
(67 posts)

01/13/2013 09:49PM

Main British Car:
1971 Triumph TR6 Ford 2.3 turbo

Reinforcing the triumph frame
Posted by: ALV
Date: November 13, 2016 11:44AM

As i get started on the swap the question of frame rigidity comes up with the increased horsepower. Frame regidy seems to come up on every triumph forum

I was thinking that the engine and tranmssion together work as a brace. I would construct a built up gusset triangle x2 from 1/8 square tube steel where the short side of the triangle is welded to the diff crossmember and the long side runs along each side of the transmission tunnel up as far as it goes without interferring with the transmission itself. I would have to widen the tunnel a bit but i think that should go a long way to compensate for the front and back flex. I could then weld braces from the diff mount to the frame where the trailing arm connects. I think i have seen this here somewhere long ago but csnt remmebr who did it or if it was on this site. Remember im trying to do this with the body on althought cutting and reweldling some sheet metal to get at the frame isnt an issue i have friends that can do that. Cheers

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6469 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: Reinforcing the triumph frame
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: November 14, 2016 12:27PM

Al, I'd highly recommend you remove the body for this. It isn't difficult. The front clip removes easily, and if the other parts are removed from the tub it is a simple matter for two guys to lift the tub off the frame, otherwise you might need a couple more guys to help with it. A 12 pack should be the only cost involved. So much easier to work on that way. Plus you can get a good visual on what needs done.

Jim

ALV
Al Vandergoot
Sidney, British Columbia Canada
(67 posts)

01/13/2013 09:49PM

Main British Car:
1971 Triumph TR6 Ford 2.3 turbo

Posted by: ALV
Date: November 15, 2016 01:39PM

Yeah i know but just not an otpion working in a single car garage and just dont have the space to store the body and frame. For the rear end im going to weld in a roll bar that connects the diff mount crossmember just ahead of the trailing arm mounting points. Then add some gussets where i can. Good news is i got the r200 diff in with clearence to mount the original q45 driveshaft so i dont need to modify the diff to drive shaft flange. Thansk Jim.

jmtr6v6
Joe Mora
San Francisco Bay Area
(2 posts)

04/17/2008 10:55AM

Main British Car:
'74 TRSix '74 TR6 w/Nissan RB25DET

authors avatar
Posted by: jmtr6v6
Date: December 26, 2016 06:44AM

Al,
I'm interested in what your saying. I'm in the process of strengthening my tr6 frame for a Nissan RB25DET Engine and Tranny. Will also be using the R200 differential.

Would appreciate it if you could post or send me some Pics to help clarify.

Thanx
LSD.jpg

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2016 12:49PM by jmtr6v6.

BWA

(344 posts)

04/13/2010 08:13PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: BWA
Date: December 26, 2016 05:03PM

Welcome to the forum Joe.
Your choice of engine and transmission is good.
If you have removed the tub from the frame I would recommend doing what I have done as it really strengthens the frame where it is the weakest and prevents the rear part of the frame from twisting.

Rear struts (2).JPG

You will have to cut slots in the tub to fit over these struts.
They are not hard to box in.
Doing this does not impinge on rearward movement of the seat.
Check out the following picture.

Cutout1.JPG

I hope this helps you.

Cheers
Byron

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.