Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Triumphant4A
Chris Johnson

(21 posts)

06/01/2015 12:48AM

Main British Car:

Best choice for accelerator pedal
Posted by: Triumphant4A
Date: September 20, 2018 11:38AM

Hi Folks,
I am probably deeper into this project than I should be to ask such a basic question - Have 1 67 4A solid axle that we are re-working for Ford 302 and T5. Frame and chassis mods are complete and I am preparing to have the tub epoxy primed and pained next month. We elected to set the 302 further back and took out 1/2 of the battery tray and a bit of each foot well for the exhaust. As a result, the stock pedal assembly is not an option for gas. I purchased a typical hot rod spoon type but now it seems way too flimsy with only a two screw mounting flange.
So, what have folks used successfully?

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Best choice for accelerator pedal
Posted by: rficalora
Date: September 23, 2018 11:13AM

There are several good hot rod brands. Lokar comes to mind.

There is not much force on an accellerator pedal as long as you have a stop to keep from over extending. But, why not use bolts instead of screws? If blind holes, maybe use riv-nuts? Or weld in captive nuts?

Triumphant4A
Chris Johnson

(21 posts)

06/01/2015 12:48AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Triumphant4A
Date: September 25, 2018 12:35AM

Yes indeed- I do plan to use capture nuts, but I was really hoping to find a wider spread base with three or four fastners
I will check out Lokar- thanks

TR6 347
Joel Schlotz
Norcal
(5 posts)

09/06/2017 06:23PM

Main British Car:
1974 TR6 Ford 347

Posted by: TR6 347
Date: September 25, 2018 03:12PM

My TR6 302 T5 conversion project has very similar engine placement to your project. I tried a Lokar spoon pedal first, but with this assembly the pedal foot position was too low. I did some more research and ended up buying "Lokar Steel Throttle Assembly SG-6016." The pedal foot height with this unit was good. I would not be concerned about just two mounting points, these pedals are good quality and two is sufficient. You will probably find that there is only room for two anyway. Good luck with your project.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: September 25, 2018 10:24PM

Quote:
I was really hoping to find a wider spread base with three or four fastners

If that's the concern, how about welding the small mounting piece on the one you have to a larger piece of 16 or 18 gauge metal and bolting that to the car? That would spread out and stiffen the mounting.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.