Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

ALV
Al Vandergoot
Sidney, British Columbia Canada
(67 posts)

01/13/2013 09:49PM

Main British Car:
1971 Triumph TR6 Ford 2.3 turbo

How did the rest of tou allow for transmission removal after engine swap?
Posted by: ALV
Date: February 01, 2019 12:13PM

So i have to remove my T5 transmission as i suspetct a bad clutch throw out bearing. My plan is to remove itt from inside the Tr6 like the old triumph transmission it replaced. The bell housing will remain attached to the engine. I have about 4 inches of room to move the transmission back to disengae the transmission input shaft from the pilot bushing, and then twist it out the passenger side and lift it out. I originally installed the engine and transmission together thinking that is how it would happen. Did the rest of you make it so that the transmission was available to drop oiut the bottom of the vehicle? Thanks in advance.

TR6 347
Joel Schlotz
Norcal
(5 posts)

09/06/2017 06:23PM

Main British Car:
1974 TR6 Ford 347

Re: How did the rest of tou allow for transmission removal after engine swap?
Posted by: TR6 347
Date: February 01, 2019 02:23PM

I just pulled the T5 out of my Ford small block converted TR6. As I recall you need about 8 inches to get the input shaft out of the clutch/bellhousing. I mounted my engine pretty far back and my driveshaft tunnel is unaltered, so I did not have 8 inches of room behind the transmission. I had to pull the transmission out from the bottom. You must be able to remove the transmission chassis mount to do this. I had to remove the exhaust system, then the differential center gear section so I could remove the drive shaft. Next I removed the transmission mount and lastly the interior transmission tunnel to access the upper transmission bolts. A 2 post lift and a transmission jack made the removal and installation pretty easy. Good Luck with your project.

ALV
Al Vandergoot
(67 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: February 01, 2019 07:09PM

Thanks Joel

Hmmm... I have 6 inches before the transmission shift casing hits the unaltered tunnel. even with the center transmission support bracket removed you would still need to tip the transmission downward a bitt.The input shaft splines disengage somepoint out from the clutch plate before going all the way back i think. the splines are angle cut narrow to the diameter of the pilot bearing portion of the input shaft. Crap i wish i had thought this out better.

If you cut the center transmission bracket that was originally there does it effect the frame rigidity? I realize the bolt in support should replace that ridiity? Did you also have to remove the top of the shifter box?

Unfortunately i dont have a hoist.. (Deep sigh)

TR6 347
Joel Schlotz
Norcal
(5 posts)

09/06/2017 06:23PM

Main British Car:
1974 TR6 Ford 347

Posted by: TR6 347
Date: February 02, 2019 01:56PM

I have a Ratco replacement frame which is much stouter than the original. I can only make a conjecture as to the strength of your original frame. It appears that modifying the rear transmission mount and then bolting things back together should be OK as long as the frame is in good condition and the modification work is done well. Yes you do need to remove the shift mechanism from the top of the transmission to drop it out from the bottom. Also, make sure that any modifications you do to the transmission mount will not interfere with the room needed for the exhaust system.

Good Luck with your project, you'll get it done.

ALV
Al Vandergoot
(67 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: February 04, 2019 12:09AM

Okay Joel thanks i had a welder friend swing by and he had welded up a removable tranmission mount before cutting the cross brace. I think is is going to be okay. I appreciate your input and help many thanks . Cheers

tr6turbo
Dale Knapke
Sidney, Ohio
(169 posts)

08/24/2008 09:44PM

Main British Car:
1972 Triumph TR6 Ford 2300, 4 Cyl Turbo

Posted by: tr6turbo
Date: February 09, 2019 09:44PM

I have a TKO 600 in my TR6 which is the same length but larger in all other dimensions. I drop it out the bottom but it is very tight.

ALV
Al Vandergoot
(67 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: February 27, 2019 07:34PM

Just an update. I did get the tranny out with a little help. Thanks everyone for your assistance. Cheers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.