Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
New RATCO TR6 / TR4A Frame Designed for Ford 302 Conversions!
Posted by: Moderator
Date: May 05, 2020 03:59AM

I received the following announcement from my old friends at RATCO. I'm very happy to pass their news along:

Quote:

(Press Release)

RATCO's new TR6 / TR4A frames are specially designed to support Ford 302 V8 engines and T5 transmissions.

The new frame design supports the TR6 model as well as its predecessor the TR4A. It supports either Independent Rear Suspension or Solid Rear Axle bodies. The frame enables you to simply bolt-in popular small block Ford engines and Borg-Warner T5 5-speed manual transmissions. Drivetrain mounting points are positioned such that the body is completely unaffected. The battery box can remain in the engine compartment without modification.

We've noted increased customer interest in installation of larger more powerful engines for these cars. However, we strongly discourage people from modifying OEM frames! The original frames are now at least 50 years old. Most of the original frames have significant internal rust. So, many are less-than-safe even with original, lower-power drivetrains. The original frames were built of 16 gage steel, whereas all RATCO frames are built of new 11 gage steel, twice the thickness and more robust in every respect than original.

Please visit our brand new website for photos and information: [www.rat-co.com]

RATCO also now offers “Garage Art” in the form of silhouettes and logos of many popular British car models. Custom artwork is available too.

http://www.britishv8.org/Sponsors/RATCO.gif

Note: BritishV8 ceased selling advertisements back in 2014. However, RATCO was a major sponsor of BritishV8 from 2006 through 2014, and I remain deeply grateful for their generous support back when it was badly needed.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: New RATCO TR6 / TR4A Frame Designed for Ford 302 Conversions!
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: May 05, 2020 02:29PM

Curtis, do they offer options for the SBC? (or perhaps LS?)

Jim

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: New RATCO TR6 / TR4A Frame Designed for Ford 302 Conversions!
Posted by: Moderator
Date: May 05, 2020 06:41PM

This is their first published option for a non-Triumph engine installation. However, I remember seeing at least one photo on RATCO's website of a Rover V8 mounted on a RATCO chassis. Someone could purchase one of their heavy duty frames, and then change the motor mounts to fit Chevy LSx or whatever.

Incidentally, the announcement doesn't say anything about their suspension upgrades for various Triumph models, but I know that's a big part of their business too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.