Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

piformo
Per Ivar Formo

(1 posts)

01/20/2021 04:50AM

Main British Car:

TR8 subframe - I really do need a new one please anyone
Posted by: piformo
Date: January 20, 2021 05:03AM

Hello, my 1980 Triumph TR8 has a rusted out subframe, unfortunately unrepairable and I need a new one. Tried Rimmer but the frame was substandard, Do anyone out there have an original lying around somewhere
Regards Per

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2021 12:02AM by piformo.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: TR8 subframe - I really do need a new one please anyone
Posted by: rficalora
Date: January 20, 2021 10:03AM

Try searching car-part.com. A quick search showed two TR8's, one in Connecticut and one in Alberta Canada. If frame or K-member you need is the same as TR7 there were a couple of additional options including one in Phoenix.

bsa_m21
Martin Rothman
Vancouver, Canada
(216 posts)

01/06/2009 11:41AM

Main British Car:
1980 TR7V8 Rover 3.9L

authors avatar
Posted by: bsa_m21
Date: January 26, 2021 12:46PM

TR7 sub-frames are plentiful and cheap. They are easy to have modified to add the TR8 mounts. However, if your sub-frame is rusted out, I think I'd want to do some serious checking on the rest of the car for rust, before spending more money.

If all else fails, this UK firm will have a subframe, new or modified TR7-v8 for you:
[www.ss-preparations.co.uk]

M.

tr8todd
Todd Kishbach

(390 posts)

12/04/2009 07:42AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: tr8todd
Date: January 27, 2021 04:29AM

I have several of them, but you have options. You can rebuild your subframe. Take the old one and make a jig using the engine mount locations and the steering rack mounting holes. Some flat stock and some angle iron is all you need. Once the jig is made, you can cut the TR8 sections off the rusted out subframe. Then take a TR7 subframe and grind away lower engine mount. Using the jig, locate the TR8 uprights and weld them on. Voila, you have a fresh TR8 subframe. I have done 4 or 5 like this, and actually have a set of uprights ready to weld on, but lent out my jog and never saw it again. Need to make another one. If you are really stuck, and or can't do the fabrication, maybe we can work a deal. Email me. I'm in Massachusetts USA. Where are you located?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.