Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

SuperMario
Mario Tippelhofer

(2 posts)

05/07/2022 11:59PM

Main British Car:

TR6 engine swap to Ford 302
Posted by: SuperMario
Date: May 08, 2022 12:07AM

Hello!
I’m about to order a crate engine for my upcoming 1974 TR6 engine swap to a Ford 302 w/ T5 manual transmission.
Before I go ahead and place the order I wanted to see what people think of my engine of choice:
[www.fivestarengines.com]
This is the complete setup that I will order with the only change being upgraded hydraulic roller cam/lifters, standard manual transmission flywheel and rear sump oil pan.
Does this look a reasonable base for my planned conversion? Here is a pic from the manufacturer website.
Tips and recommendations are appreciated!
39A333E4-9C25-4929-9390-34EDE424F982.jpeg

IaTR6
Dennis Costello
Central Iowa
(192 posts)

12/29/2007 02:53PM

Main British Car:
'73 TR 6 '97 Explorer 5.0

Re: TR6 engine swap to Ford 302
Posted by: IaTR6
Date: May 08, 2022 02:41PM

fullsizeoutput_d05.jpeg

Mario, This is the best I seem to be able to get to show the distance from the
Ford timing cover mounting surface to the outer face of the harmonic damper/crankshaft pulley
on the Ford Explorer. In this picture, I attempted to show the Explorer distance is ~ 5 1/4".
I have mentioned this before, and it is only my opinion, and others have successfully
installed a Ford Windsor into a TR6 not using the Explorer engine, but I thought the advantages were:

-The front sump on any Ford is an issue, even with a conversion to a rear sump, the front oil pump and short front sump will be an issue to resolve.
I resolved this with a modification to lower the front crossmember, rather than cutting into the rear of the crossmember
to accomodate the front sump. The shorter front sump on a rear intake oil pan helps here.
-The standard long front crankshaft pulley and harmonic damper will require a set-back that will cause some intrusion into the driver and passenger footwells
using the Explorer front dress saves 1 1/2 - 2".
-Measure the height of the engine from the bottom of the front sump to the top of the air cleaner and compare to the space available
from the top of the crossmember to the underside of the hood. This will give an idea where your modifications will have to start.
-Have a look at Dennis' TR6 Project in the Projects section of this forum, and perhaps you will find something useful. At the least,
use that project and others to design and complete your own.
-Do a project, I always like to see "why didn't I think of that"?
-Dennis

SuperMario
Mario Tippelhofer

(2 posts)

05/07/2022 11:59PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: SuperMario
Date: May 08, 2022 04:26PM

Thanks Dennis for the reply and details. From what I gather you’re suggesting that the Ford Explorer engine will have fewer/different modifications to the chassis and body necessary than the Windsor engine BUT it looks like people have done it and the engine that I have picked should serve the purpose. Is that a fair summary? For some reason I can’t find a Dennis is the projects section of the website…
And yes I will try to document my process and findings!

IaTR6
Dennis Costello
Central Iowa
(192 posts)

12/29/2007 02:53PM

Main British Car:
'73 TR 6 '97 Explorer 5.0

Posted by: IaTR6
Date: May 09, 2022 12:54PM

I'm about 1/2 way down on page 2 of project journals.
Yes, I am only suggesting that some of the differences I found might be helpful in a swap.
Moving a standard Windsor back just enough to clear the steering rack and front cross tube
would only require a slightly different modification to the transmission tunnel. And, it would move the
shifter back the same amount. All of that has been done before successfully.
Do lots of research, and include other models of cars, including MGB, Stag, Healey, whatever. Use
all the ideas you find. You are now the design team, preproduction assessment, and final assembly.
If it goes without a hitch..........never mind, it won't, but you will adapt! Just do as I did - stand there and stare
for a while, it will come to you.
-Dennis

feline cat
derek costello

(4 posts)

05/30/2020 10:50PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: feline cat
Date: June 11, 2022 06:26PM

I used the ford 302 truck engine with roller cam and higher lifter covers with no problems. I used the shorter crank pully, block hugger headers,T5 trans,

and 500cfm carb for smooth performance, it makes for a very drivable car and with the aluminum heads, intake and rad weighs about 60 pounds less than the

stock engine and trans. See my build under Derek Costello TR6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.