Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

tr6turbo
Dale Knapke
Sidney, Ohio
(169 posts)

08/24/2008 09:44PM

Main British Car:
1972 Triumph TR6 Ford 2300, 4 Cyl Turbo

TR^ shock absorbers
Posted by: tr6turbo
Date: March 03, 2009 07:43PM

I just purchased new front shock abosorbers for my TR6. My old shocks had rubber bump stops inside the upper dust cover on the rod end of the shock. My new ones do not have the bump stops. My suppension will now be able to travel up much more then before. Is this a problem? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Dale

74ls1tr6
Calvin Grannis
Elk Grove,CA
(1151 posts)

11/10/2007 10:05AM

Main British Car:
74 TR6 / 71 MGB GT TR6/Ls1 71 MGB GT/Ls1

authors avatar
Re: TR^ shock absorbers
Posted by: 74ls1tr6
Date: March 04, 2009 09:03PM

The bump stops are there in case you bottom out your suspension. I believe the shock shaft is on the top part of the shock when installed, so if you had a bump stop in the old shocks under the dust cover on the shaft, then the only travel distance difference you would have on your new ones, would be when your suspension is compressed downward all the way. So if you are riding higher that would be that you have a longer shock or you're using gas shocks. The only problem would be if you bottom out the front suspension, you could possibly break something or bend metal. I don't think you will get more travel up with or without the bump stop.

By the way Dale, Ken H called me about a month ago and said you had used a different front brake setup then stock, as in vented rotors, sometime could you fill me in on what you did?

Calvin

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.