Healey Sports Cars

mods & upgrades for Healey (Nash, Austin, or Jensen) cars, including engine swaps

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

spridget
bill green
Maine
(68 posts)

03/22/2008 01:29PM

Main British Car:
3 1980 TR8, 1 TR7 2 Bugeye Sprite 1 MG midget TR8 3.5 and 5.0, Sprite 1098 and ?

Cosworth engine in Bugeye
Posted by: spridget
Date: October 29, 2008 07:42PM

Has anyone done or considered a Cosworth Vega engine transplant to a Bugeye. I have a Bugeye body with the usual rust and access to a 75 Cosworth Vega parts car. The Cosworth has great power potential and low weight. It looks like it will fit if the battery tray/heater defroster plenum is removed and reworked. Any thoughts?

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: Cosworth engine in Bugeye
Posted by: V6 Midget
Date: October 30, 2008 08:10AM

Bill, I haven't seen a Cosworth Vega in anything except a Vega in years, but it should fit pretty well. Probably much like the Mazda twin cam four in Bob Chartier's car. [www.britishv8.org] Both engines are pretty much the same size, I think you could use Bob's as a pattern without too much problem. Save that rear axle as well, it will narrow and fit the Sprite very well.

B-Fast B-Strong
William Smith

(144 posts)

10/17/2009 11:28PM

Main British Car:
Bugeye Bodied Spriget

authors avatar
Re: Cosworth engine in Bugeye
Posted by: B-Fast B-Strong
Date: May 15, 2010 12:17AM

I think it would depend on what shape the engine is in. Rebuilding that engine could be costly. Great engine but you can pick up a 2.0 L Zetec or Duratec cheap and they put out a lot of power. The problem with old engines are they are old ! Bill is right about the rear end, it is a problem I am facing , looks like I will need to switch out the midget rear end for an 8.8 Ford they want 850 for the work . Wish there was a new car made with a narrow wheel track and heavy rear end or someone that cuts down rear ends for less money. This is the biggest problem I have with my swap.
Will

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.