Healey Sports Cars

mods & upgrades for Healey (Nash, Austin, or Jensen) cars, including engine swaps

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

HealeyRick
Rick Neville

(489 posts)

12/19/2007 05:01PM

Main British Car:
1963 Austin-Healey 3000 Ford 5.0L

authors avatar
Healey 3000M?
Posted by: HealeyRick
Date: August 18, 2011 09:24PM

Over the last few years, big Healeys have gone up in value and the modified guys have been pushed to the background. I'm still dumb enough to pursue the modified Healey dream. Here's my latest mod:

Obviously, I have a schizophrenic approach to my Healey. When it's complete, the only external clue to the V8 motor will be the Cobra-style trigger reverse shift lever and the oversize dual chrome exhaust tips ( which will exit the rear on the left rear as original) That hasn't kept me from adding some period "personalizations" The latest is the 100M bonnet strap:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j222/healeyrick/IMG_0205.jpg

Now, this isn't any old generic bonnet strap, this is a gen-you-wine 100M strap purchased from the 100M Register, which I had to join in order to purchase. And it is a much higher quality one than obtained from the usual suspects.

I just like the look and it brings to mind one of my favorite quotes from Burt Levy's "The Last Open Road" when describing a Cad Allard:

"My God, what a beast that car was! The grille was nothing but a huge chromium sneer and there were scoops and vents and louvers chopped all over the place to let the heat breathe out (or cool air in, I could never figure out which) and you couldn't miss how they had the hood buttoned down with no less than five separate butterfly fasteners and two great wide leather straps, each one hefty enough to harness a prize bull. Whatever monstrous kind of motor was in there, they weren't taking any chances on it breaking out."

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

11/21/2007 12:22PM

Main British Car:
'78 B (almost done) 30-over SBF, dry sump

authors avatar
Re: Healey 3000M?
Posted by: DC Townsend
Date: August 19, 2011 05:36PM

Ah, the king of subtlety.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.