Healey Sports Cars

mods & upgrades for Healey (Nash, Austin, or Jensen) cars, including engine swaps

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

jim
jim begor
brushton ny
(31 posts)

12/30/2009 08:59PM

Main British Car:
59 sprite gm 3.1 5 speed

nitrated axel ? sprite and midget
Posted by: jim
Date: January 11, 2010 07:23AM

hi is any body using the nitrated axels that moss motors sells im building a 59 sprite with gm 3.1 t5 4 link rear im a little conserned about axels thanks jim

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: nitrated axel ? sprite and midget
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: January 11, 2010 08:29AM

Jim, I wouldn't even consider using the stock type rear axle with an engine swap, especially a V6 or V8, just too much torque for that unit even with the heavy duty race axles. They are barely adequate for a stock 1500 engine. The differential section is not too bad, but still with the limited ratios available it wouldn't be too great with a V6 and T5. I'd look for something else that had around a 7.5" or larger diameter ring gear, those would have the torque capacity to handle your engine. Then consider the ratios available. I think you'll find that something around a 3.22 : 1 would be nearly perfect with your combination. You'll get reasonable performance using 13" tires with anything from around 3.43:1 up to 2.78:1 but around a 3.22 is almost ideal.

jim
jim begor
brushton ny
(31 posts)

Main British Car:
59 sprite gm 3.1 5 speed

Date: May 23, 2010 08:39PM

Iv got wheel spin first second and third very little effort about 1800 miles one broken 5/8" swedged heim joint tube on the four link
at the 45 degree angle so far not a mark on the axels
Picture 132.jpg

B-Fast B-Strong
William Smith

(144 posts)

10/17/2009 11:28PM

Main British Car:
Bugeye Bodied Spriget

authors avatar
Posted by: B-Fast B-Strong
Date: May 25, 2010 12:43PM

5/8" ? I would recommend something more in the 3/4" range.
Here are the bottom links holding my custom 3 link 8.8 Ford rear end in my midget.
I budgeted 1500 for my rear end swap and am coming in well under that.
A lot of people like the Ford 8" , the Monza or Mazda RX7 rear end, the last coming with disc brakes like my 8.8 , all holding up better than stock.
X1190.jpg

jim
jim begor
brushton ny
(31 posts)

Main British Car:
59 sprite gm 3.1 5 speed

Date: May 25, 2010 09:37PM

that looks real good I bought 3/4" joints and then thought they be to heavy and went to 5/8" the joint held but the swedge tube failed this is the sprite rear axel with nitrated axels so far they are holding the disc brakes are honda prelude that set up is working real well that 8.8 must be a little tight under your midget
118.jpg

B-Fast B-Strong
William Smith

(144 posts)

Main British Car:
Bugeye Bodied Spriget

authors avatar
Date: May 26, 2010 01:11AM

Hey Jim,
Everything is tight under a Midget ! If I might ask what spring rate are you running?
Bill Young has a Monza 10 bolt under his and the Ford 8.8 is about the same. I don't think that little bit of weight difference in the arms is worth the safety issue. Stock rear end will not hold up with what I am throwing at it. The third link on top is a Y , two joints either side the pumpkin and one over top of the tunnel. Nice thing about this set up is it is rebuildable. It's a heavy duty rear end for sure.
William
Ford8.jpg

jim
jim begor
brushton ny
(31 posts)

Main British Car:
59 sprite gm 3.1 5 speed

Date: May 26, 2010 05:11AM

I dont remeber the spring rate the shocks are from Qa1 I called there tech support and told them
what I was doing and they helped me with the set up by the car weight I have a 73 midget 1275 webber and rivergate
5 speed that midget cant compare to the way this sprite rides and handles the sprite stays flat in the corners
jim

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2010 05:20AM by jim.

B-Fast B-Strong
William Smith

(144 posts)

Main British Car:
Bugeye Bodied Spriget

authors avatar
Date: May 26, 2010 01:23PM

That is why I am modifying the rear suspension , awesome handling ! Thanks for the tip about calling their tech department. Get some heavy wall tubing and some weld in treaded bungs and make some stouter rods for your 5/8 heim joints see if that will not solve the problem, that's what I would do. It was your triangle bar that broke right , I know you don't need a panhard bar with this setup but it would take off the strain ! Just my thoughts , hope they help. You helped me think of something I had not thought of , I hope I did the same.
William

jim
jim begor
brushton ny
(31 posts)

Main British Car:
59 sprite gm 3.1 5 speed

Date: May 26, 2010 07:19PM

I ordred weld in bungs from speedway and I just pulled my swedge tubes from the sprite I checked with a mic where the tube broke at the bottom of the thread I got .041 I dont remember where I bought these off the net but next time Ill pay more attentio to quality rather than price William what are you building I changed my front supension too I used 1" dom and heim joints to make upper and lower control arms I made jigs to do this seems to work quite well
114.jpg

jim
jim begor
brushton ny
(31 posts)

Main British Car:
59 sprite gm 3.1 5 speed

Date: May 26, 2010 07:23PM

IMGP2062.JPG

B-Fast B-Strong
William Smith

(144 posts)

Main British Car:
Bugeye Bodied Spriget

authors avatar
Date: May 26, 2010 11:32PM

Jim ,
Midget with fiberglass Bugeye Sprite parts. Powered by a Ford Duratec, 5 spd , 8.8 rear . I'm working on designing the front suspension right now. I want to fit two spring over shocks in front of the engine cantilevered off the top A arm. Putting spitfire disc on front with MGB calipers. Other than a few different things in the looks department, that's pretty much it. You know what I am doing in the rear and I am also adding a kind of a Mumford system too. I am having a lot of fun designing some of the ideas that have had good success in certain race designs and incorporating them into a street drive-able auto that can feel right at home on the track. Bottom line lots of power on rails !
William

jim
jim begor
brushton ny
(31 posts)

Main British Car:
59 sprite gm 3.1 5 speed

Date: May 28, 2010 05:12AM

sounds like you will have a pretty nice car good luck with it
jim

B-Fast B-Strong
William Smith

(144 posts)

Main British Car:
Bugeye Bodied Spriget

authors avatar
Date: May 28, 2010 10:03AM

You too , nice work ! I like the parts you made. I am doing some off the wall stuff , I dare to be different, hope it doesn't bite me in the butt. I can always change it back or try something else, these are all things that have been done before just maybe not in this combination. These are not original ideas, just bits and pieces I have seen before and choose to use. Just like changing the parting line on the sprite bonnet so it will not hit the body when tilting it forward. I had looked at Bruce Uchida's sprite and the elaborate hinge he had made to make the bonnet go forward as it opened, I was thinking there has to be a better way. Then I ran across this little Healey and lights went off, yes a line ran straight up form the hinge and the bonnet will not hit !

austin-healey-00016-2.jpg

So see , all though my idea was not original I knew there was a better way to keep the bonnet from hitting. This was along the lines of what I was thinking about , just did not know if it was possible or not , once I saw this picture I said yes that's what I'm talking about. And I came up with this look !

Car.gif

Now making this type of spoiler for the back has been done before , they call it a barn door spoiler or something like that, but making it out of 5/8" lexan so you can see through it is my idea, I guess you might say that is an original idea I had !

William

jim
jim begor
brushton ny
(31 posts)

Main British Car:
59 sprite gm 3.1 5 speed

Date: May 29, 2010 06:32AM

Thats sharp I like that my bonnit is from speedwell engering the fit on it was realy good except for the 1/4 turn duz fasteners
are a pain to hook up if I did it over I would use a different engine and not had the scoop but that 3.1 sticks out 4" but other than that its loads of fun keep posted on your progress
jim
Picture 127.jpg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.