Healey Sports Cars

mods & upgrades for Healey (Nash, Austin, or Jensen) cars, including engine swaps

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

jtexcellon
John Taller

(2 posts)

01/20/2020 06:30PM

Main British Car:

100-6 Toyota Swap
Posted by: jtexcellon
Date: January 20, 2020 06:57PM

Hi, New to the forum, but have had Big Healeys in the distant past. (30 years ago). Currently I have Triumph Spits and Heralds.
I've recently acquired a 1957 100-6 with a decent frame and panels. I want to do an engine swap and before I get too far into it, I'd like some feedback.
My thought process is to use a Toyota BEAMS engine and 6 speed trans. 2.0l, 4 cyl. 200hp stock, 162 ft-bs torque. Non-turbo. This is a JDM engine used in the Japanese version of the IS300, called an Altezza. The Altezza used a 4.11 rear diff and would mate up nicely with my original 4.10 diff (overdrive rearend). Exhaust is on the same side as the Healey 6 cyl and could be adapted to the original Healey muffler. This engine is commonly used with drifting.
The engine/trans is about 10" shorter than the Healey combo and would sit back further in the engine bay for better weight dist.
The car has wire wheels, but I want to switch to steel or mags. Will need advise on changing front spindles. I looked into Mustang II suspension and it is too wide.
I've also considered putting an electric steering motor in line with the steering column from a Toyota Corolla. Got this tip from a local hot rodder.
Not trying to make a drift car, just want reliability and highway cruising speed with decent suspension.
It would be lighter and have decent power without twisting the frame up.
Thoughts????

britcars
Phil Ossinger
New Brunswick, Canada
(346 posts)

02/02/2009 07:58PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Roadster, Rover 3.5 ADVENTURE BEFORE DEMENTIA!

authors avatar
Re: 100-6 Toyota Swap
Posted by: britcars
Date: January 20, 2020 11:27PM

Lots of info on electric steering here.

[forum.britishv8.org]

BWA

(344 posts)

04/13/2010 08:13PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: BWA
Date: January 21, 2020 02:01PM

I think you engine choice is spot on.
A lot of people in the past would stuff v8"s into these cars.
Nothing wrong on going that route.
Being that these cars came with four cylinder engines it seems to be an appropriate choice.
Where will you get this engine being that it is quite popular with the tuning /drifting crowd?

Cheers
Bwa

jtexcellon
John Taller

(2 posts)

01/20/2020 06:30PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: jtexcellon
Date: January 21, 2020 07:12PM

The Toyota 3SGE BEAMS engine is readily available in the US through many JDM importers.
I've been looking for the "right" one on-line. Mileage, condition, sensors etc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.