Healey Sports Cars

mods & upgrades for Healey (Nash, Austin, or Jensen) cars, including engine swaps

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Subourbonite
Eric Brown

(1 posts)

03/10/2017 08:04PM

Main British Car:

Healey 100 Body # Locations
Posted by: Subourbonite
Date: April 26, 2017 01:38PM

Just took delivery of my new Nasty Boy and trying to learn its history. Seems, as many V8 conversions, this one lost its firewall Body/Batch plate and Chassis ID plate with the swap to a Chevy SB.

I've pulled the aluminum cockpit surrounds and have a matching Body # across all 4 pieces, but the boot support tab has been removed and i cannot find any numbering on the hood edge. My last search is for the elusive shock tower number and I have not been able to find any photos or more detailed description of where to look. Hoping that someone here may be able to help me find the right place to look.

Car is a 1954/1955 100 and appears to be from Batch # 4864.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks
Eric

HealeyRick
Rick Neville

(489 posts)

12/19/2007 05:01PM

Main British Car:
1963 Austin-Healey 3000 Ford 5.0L

authors avatar
Re: Healey 100 Body # Locations
Posted by: HealeyRick
Date: April 26, 2017 07:47PM

Eric,

Only the BJ8s had the numbers stamped on the shock tower. No numbers stamped on the early cars.

Rick

Shamrock
Scott Drewa
Wisconsin
(7 posts)

06/23/2021 11:27PM

Main British Car:
1955 Austin Healey 100-4 V6 Turbo

Posted by: Shamrock
Date: June 27, 2021 05:56PM

100-4s only had 2 plates 1 with the body batch number and the other with what you would call the V.I.N. on the firewall no identifying numbers on the frame.

Sprocket
Guy Coldwell

(5 posts)

06/07/2019 02:51PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Sprocket
Date: December 22, 2021 06:46PM

BN1s from beginning of production in June 1953 through to early to mid 1954 had the chassis number stamped on an oblong tag riveted to the right hand frame rail about 12” forward of the bulkhead/firewall. They also had a plastic tag with the vehicle data attached to the left hand side kick panel in the cockpit. For a short while - Sept 1954 to Jan 1955 the chassis tag was changed to the familiar oblong ‘firewall style’ and mounted on the kick panel before this became mounted on the firewall so,eti,e in January 1955 - see below excerpt from the Concours Guidelines. The stamped body numbers appeared on the four cockpit trim pieces, the left hand bonnet edge, the boot/trunk support tab and the training edge of the front bumper valance on the left hand side where the valance bolts to the body. These are the only locations.

Chassis no. 219001 Sep ‘54 – First car with unified chassis/engine number, and the preceding series of engines used in AH 100s appears to have ended in the range of 216XXX. This appears to be the point where the plastic chassis and engine no. tag on the foot well trim panel was changed to the oval aluminum unified chassis/engine no. tag. Also, at this point the aluminum chassis tag was removed from the right frame rail in the engine compartment by the master cylinder bracket, however the two mounting holes for this tag remained through the end of BN2 production. This new oval aluminum tag remained in the driver’s foot well at least until early Jan. ’55, when it was moved to the firewall below the batch/body number tag.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.