Healey Sports Cars

mods & upgrades for Healey (Nash, Austin, or Jensen) cars, including engine swaps

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

B-Fast B-Strong
William Smith

(144 posts)

10/17/2009 11:28PM

Main British Car:
Bugeye Bodied Spriget

authors avatar
Re: Another Rotary Sprite
Posted by: B-Fast B-Strong
Date: August 26, 2010 10:13AM

Dave,
Great video , I felt like I went along for the ride with you, I found myself holding tight to my laptop ! A proud moment and it sounded like it was running right this time. Glad you got it all sorted out ! Hope you know someone with a paint booth so it can get the paint job it deserves and get Curtis to add it to the Gallery , find a nice scenic spot and take lots of great pictures , the old gal deserves her glamor shots. Fantastic job Dave !
William

HealeyRick
Rick Neville

(490 posts)

12/19/2007 05:01PM

Main British Car:
1963 Austin-Healey 3000 Ford 5.0L

authors avatar
Posted by: HealeyRick
Date: August 26, 2010 09:01PM

Nice, Dave. Congrats!

Bugeye RX
Dave Bergheimer

(47 posts)

05/16/2010 07:04PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Bugeye RX
Date: August 29, 2010 10:17PM

Thanks William and Rick. And Yeah, it's running really good, the 150+ hp and 1300lbs is a menacing combination. It pulls the front end up and spins the tires at any speed. I finished fitting all the trim this weekend and should have paint by the end of September. Until then I'm going to run it whenever I can and shake it down. I'll have to do some suspension work and maybe some aero work as it's a little squirrely at highway speeds! I'll also pick up some 3.7 gears and that should help the on/off light switch affect I get when I step on the gas!!!!! Thanks again! Dave.
Fix'ns001.JPG
Fix'ns003.JPG

Bugeye RX
Dave Bergheimer

(47 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: October 14, 2010 07:08PM

Take a ride and see the fall foliage!

[www.youtube.com]

B-Fast B-Strong
William Smith

(144 posts)

Main British Car:
Bugeye Bodied Spriget

authors avatar
Date: October 15, 2010 12:33AM

Hey Dave,
Glad some little kid didn't run out ! On the handling at highway speed problem it may be more the wear on the front end parts than an aerodynamic problem , I would rebuild the front end and get a good alignment first and then see how it handles. Looks like you have it running and stopping good , tightening the suspension should do a world of good and make it even more fun to drive. Worn parts can really make it wander all over the road and at high speeds can even be a little scary ! Any car should go straight as an arrow at 70 with hands off the wheel on a flat straight road, if not something is wrong with it. I would think you should not have aerodynamic problems till well over 100 mph.. I would not spend a dime on paint till I had the suspension problems sorted out, running off in the ditch isn't going to do that new paint much good !
Cheers William

Bugeye RX
Dave Bergheimer

(47 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: October 15, 2010 09:34PM

Hey William, all the front end piece at new including the springs. It track straight does not shake or shimmy. It just seems to lift and the steering gets really light at 65+. I'm going to replace the front shocks as well, it seems bounce at this speed as well.

PS you can hear this thing a mile away, so I'm hoping the children are taking cover! And you should see the kids on four wheels that race through the neighbor, lol, I'm the one that better not run out in the road, believe you me!!!!

B-Fast B-Strong
William Smith

(144 posts)

Main British Car:
Bugeye Bodied Spriget

authors avatar
Date: October 20, 2010 11:37PM

LOL ! Ah living in the country ! I hope I will not have that problem with mine as I am going to put mustang 2 built front end on and coil-over shocks. You know they make those add on shocks for Sprigets, you might try that ??? It looked like it was handling the corners good. I'm going to put mine a little bit nose down and I am sure I will have to have some kind of air dam up front . I'm putting a 160 speedo in it and I want to be able to bury it or it just won't be fun. I had a 280ZX turbo and it would peg the 150 speedo and it got a little light , but then you expect that at 150 but not at 65 ! Well keep out of the road you don't need any of those little knobby tracks on you ! LOL
William

Healey Z
k uel

(19 posts)

09/30/2010 11:03PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Healey Z
Date: October 24, 2010 12:38PM

great video. you can bearly hear it, but I heard your neighbor say "What in the &%#$ just went flying by?"

jim
jim begor
brushton ny
(31 posts)

12/30/2009 08:59PM

Main British Car:
59 sprite gm 3.1 5 speed

Posted by: jim
Date: October 26, 2010 10:15PM

your car looks real good I have a 59 sprite with a 3400 and five speed if I get much over 70 it feels light in the front end
I had the front end alighment thats all set but I think the stearing is so tight and quick that it makes it feel squirlley I dont get much wheel spin mine just squats and its gone these cars are a blast to drive with the power again good work
jim
Picture 245.jpg

B-Fast B-Strong
William Smith

(144 posts)

Main British Car:
Bugeye Bodied Spriget

authors avatar
Date: October 26, 2010 11:30PM

Nice looking Bugeye Jim,
That's what worries me the most is how mine will handle at high speeds. Being that I will be running tires 8.5 inches wide on the front and a custom front suspension using Mustang 2 spindles , coil-over shocks and a nice size sway bar, I am hopeful that I can take mine to 150 before it does any floating around, I guess we will see. I want a fast little go cart that will give a Caterham 7 a run for it's money . I am designing a 3 bar rear suspension that's almost like a uneven 4 bar and coil-overs with a few little tricks up my sleeve . The fiberglass front ends have some nice flair to it and I will have to come up with some way to keep air out from under it, should be interesting !
William
Old School-2a.jpg

Bugeye RX
Dave Bergheimer

(47 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: October 31, 2010 12:01PM

BAHAHAHAH, 150 mph good luck with that William. I'd suggest you do a wind tunnel simulation and install an ejection seat because 85 felt like 150 so I'm thinking 150 will be like Warp speed!!!

HealeyRick
Rick Neville

(490 posts)

12/19/2007 05:01PM

Main British Car:
1963 Austin-Healey 3000 Ford 5.0L

authors avatar
Posted by: HealeyRick
Date: October 31, 2010 09:47PM

150 mph in a Bugeye would be my definition of "Scary Fast"

cdodgyd
Chris Davies
Wales, UK
(4 posts)

07/17/2010 03:25AM

Main British Car:
1959 AH Sprite, 1971 Mercedes 280se 1.5L Ford in the Sprite, 3L diesel in the Merc.

Posted by: cdodgyd
Date: November 01, 2010 04:53PM

I can vouch that even 100 mph in one is frightening! They're so close to the ground that you really feel the speed and the wheelbase is so short that they become very twitchy. You're going to need some pretty radical suspension and body mods to keep control - I expect you'll need a fair bit of time for development on a race track!

jim
jim begor
brushton ny
(31 posts)

Main British Car:
59 sprite gm 3.1 5 speed

Date: November 02, 2010 05:43PM

I took my bugeye out today with my GPS and found out my speedo is twenty mph slow my bit over 70 was a bit over 90
you want to hang on but at legal speed it still a blast to drive
jim

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Re: Another Rotary Sprite/cute=squirrley
Posted by: roverman
Date: November 02, 2010 06:41PM

Headlites = bad air ? Under dumb idea/aero enhancement, how 'bout Opel GT. or Porsche 928 type headlites ?

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: November 06, 2010 01:41PM

Odd as it may seem, those headlights could actually be helping with high speed stability. Looking at the car, the whole thing has the appearance of a lifting body or airfoil shape, which means unless you do something to keep the air out from under the body, the faster air going over the top is going to create a low pressure area and the slower air underneath is going to push upwards on the body, creating lift. The nice curve of the valence compounds the problem. Because the headlights create a boundary layer separation and create turbulence they might actually help some to reduce lift, as might the irregularity of the underside of the car. If you really want to do 150 with that thing you had better be thinking about ground effects.

JB

Bugeye RX
Dave Bergheimer

(47 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: November 06, 2010 06:15PM

LOL Jim, I don't have any aspiration of going 150mph in this thing, that's William's death wish! I just want to be able to cruise at highway speed and have enough handling to get around 100ish when the need arises. I agree the car is a natural wing, I'm going to try a couple different air dam set-ups that a few local era correct vintage racers suggested. Hopefully this will help!

jim
jim begor
brushton ny
(31 posts)

Main British Car:
59 sprite gm 3.1 5 speed

Date: November 07, 2010 05:27PM

post some pictures of what your doing I think jims got a point Iv had mine out with out the bonnet latched and about 45-50 the air from under will lift it right up a few inchess the way it closes I did not figger it would lift it

Bugeye RX
Dave Bergheimer

(47 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: November 08, 2010 07:08PM

I will post the mods, I've been told I need to remove the air that gets trapped in the pocket between the body wheel well top plate and the bonnet underside. I can either vent the wheel wells to reduce the pressure by introducing flow, or dam/redirect the air around the pocket creating a low. I'm going to see the mods this guy has done to his track car this weekend and will take some pics.

jim
jim begor
brushton ny
(31 posts)

Main British Car:
59 sprite gm 3.1 5 speed

Date: November 10, 2010 07:52PM

Dave I contacted spridgetech and they have a mold to make an air dam for a non flaired mk1 there supposed to send me some pictures when they do I will post that info

jim
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.