Healey Sports Cars

mods & upgrades for Healey (Nash, Austin, or Jensen) cars, including engine swaps

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

vaknight
Kevin Knight
Virginia Beach, Va
(10 posts)

06/27/2008 12:06PM

Main British Car:
1955 Healey 100-4 GM 350

authors avatar
Steering wheel free play
Posted by: vaknight
Date: June 24, 2010 08:40AM

My 55 BN1 has the original steering box and all components installed. I have about 1/2-3/4 inch free play at the steering wheel. The steering idlers, lever arms, crossrods and tie rod ends are all solid. Is this normal or does the internal steering box need restoration?

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: Steering wheel free play
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: June 30, 2010 08:09AM

Kevin, sorry I didn't respond earlier. For a worm and sector type box 1/2 to 3/4" of free play isn't that much, but you might be able to improve that without a total rebuild of the box. Check the steering shaft to make sure there isn't any fore and aft play in the box, you can add or remove shims to tighten that if necessary. The main wear point is on the pin that rides on the screw gear on the steering shaft. Those are replacable if worn, check with Moss or VB. I'm not sure if you can access those items with the box in the car or not, but hopefully you can and can tighten up the feel a bit without having to remove the entire box.

vaknight
Kevin Knight
Virginia Beach, Va
(10 posts)

06/27/2008 12:06PM

Main British Car:
1955 Healey 100-4 GM 350

authors avatar
Re: Steering wheel free play
Posted by: vaknight
Date: July 01, 2010 10:01AM

Bill,
thanks, the steering shaft is also real tight,. Guess the 'sporty steering' is part of the window-folded bugs-in-the-teeth joy of driving my BN1.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.