Healey Sports Cars

mods & upgrades for Healey (Nash, Austin, or Jensen) cars, including engine swaps

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

11/21/2007 12:22PM

Main British Car:
'78 B (almost done) 30-over SBF, dry sump

authors avatar
For Roverman - JH "Special" Rendering - finished composite sketch
Posted by: DC Townsend
Date: September 11, 2011 08:04AM

First, apologies to Roverman for not getting a chance to preview these before I posted them but they came out so cool looking I didn't think you'd mind sharing.

These are a couple versions of a JH concept form the inspired mind of Art Gertz. I wasn't really sure about what this would look like when he gave me the list of modifications but it actually all went together. To be fair, Art wanted this to be a black car but lighter colors are easier to edit (you can see the contours, part lines, etc.) so I kind of took the easy road with the yellow car.

Jensen_Healey_yellow2_lr.jpg
Jensen_Healey_yellow_lr.jpg

Might be kind of fun to see if you can spot all of the edits and the cars they came from. Including modifications or changes to the JH body, there should be 10 alterations. Have fun.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2011 06:56AM by DC Townsend.

HealeyRick
Rick Neville

(489 posts)

12/19/2007 05:01PM

Main British Car:
1963 Austin-Healey 3000 Ford 5.0L

authors avatar
Re: For Roverman
Posted by: HealeyRick
Date: September 11, 2011 09:14AM

I hate these games. I can always get to 7 out of 10 "Spot the Differences" then start tearing my hair out. Here goes:

1. side mirrors changed
2. side lights removed
3. fender vent added (Cobra?)
4. grille surround (68 Corvette?)
5. headlights (Mercedes?)
6. wheels (Halibrand?)
7 top (Porsche 914?)
8. front spoiler
9. front end reshaped for headlights
10. chrome strip at rocker panel removed

Nice concept and I wish I had your P/S skills. I've always had a hankering for a Jensen GT (no Healey by then). Went to look at a 20k mile car near me a number of years ago. What a rotbox.

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: September 11, 2011 09:29AM

Wow Rick! You're close.

A hint (or two). Headlights were changed but not Mercedes. Porsche 914 Targa top was correct. Side mirrors were changed but from what car? Grille surround is correct. Wheels are correct as was the fender vent (good eye), front spoiler, and removal of the side lights. All of the parts changes (except the headlights) came from the cars of basically the same late 60s-early 70s time frame.

The other changes are more subtle but have a lot to do with the look of the car. Oddly, the shot of the car I started from didn't have the chrome trim strip at the rocker so you lose a point for that one.

HealeyRick
Rick Neville

(489 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: September 11, 2011 09:34AM

Tell me you're not using Lamborhini Miura headlights:

http://i51.tinypic.com/o9mnhl.jpg

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: September 11, 2011 10:41AM

Porsche Spyder

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: September 12, 2011 08:55AM

Here's the list of answers.

1. Dropped the body down about 3-4" (I'm estimating here) to give the JH a better stance
2. Flared the fenders (it's subtle, but there) to accommodate more wheel/tire combinations
3. Deleted the side markers
4. Deleted the front and rear bumpers
5. Reshaped the front valance. On a practical level, this may be the most technical part of the idea.
6. Front bumper is from late 60s Corvette with the wrap around ends bobbed to blend with the JH width.
7. Headlamps are from recent Porsche Spyder. I tried to render these in a way that the original headlamp surround might be retained (but modified).
8. Wheels are Team III 'Hallibrands'
9. Side vent is from a Cobra
10. Door mirror and door handle are both from a late 60s - early 70s Toyota Celica
11. Front spoiler is from early 70s Mustang Mach I
12. Top and sail panels are from Porsche 914 Targa

All of the parts with the exception of the headlamps are from cars of the same era as the JH. From that perspective, this is a concept that I could see someone of the same period executing.

I like Art's idea here. Reminds me of the Jensen Coupes but without the fastback. Would have been a nice model. I also like Rick's idea of the Miura headlamps (simply because they're from roughly the same period) but think they might be a bit difficult to source.

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Re: For Roverman, "close"
Posted by: roverman
Date: September 12, 2011 11:13AM

Close" David but not my "vision" just yet. I need to send you some art-work(pun). Team III "AC" wheels will have "nut covers", tires need 40 aspect rati,(shorter sidewalls. Fifties "Speedster" on healight covers.Corvette/XJS "sails/flying butress", for rear window.Good Work, roverman.

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: September 12, 2011 11:36AM

Art,

No problem to add the nut covers on the wheels, lower the tire aspect ratio, or swap out the headlights for earlier models. Do you want to keep the chrome trim rings for the head lights? On the XJS sail panel, do you want it to extend all of the way to the end of the deck lid (as per the original)?

I'll take acre of the edits this evening.

DT

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: September 12, 2011 07:03PM

Dave, Yes chrome ring on headlight covers, just like early speedster.JH buckets are f-glass, will make the mod. easier. End the "sail" at high point of hump, over rear wheel wells, or few inches beyond, for "balance".914 "bridge" is too angular to blend with curvy body, needs conours like XJS. Let's loose the mirrors. Mabie mount short motorcycle mirror, up high in chrome support for wing window,(like some MGB's use). Change color to red ? 67-72 Vette bumpers ? The're split and "Z" shaped. On fender vent, maybe Z28 right "after" design, that had gilles ? Did you move the front wheels forward 5" ? Thanks, roverman.(Gertz)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2011 07:15PM by roverman.

HealeyRick
Rick Neville

(489 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: September 12, 2011 10:10PM

Looking forward to seeing Art's "vision". The JH just never caught on with Healey guys, despite the fact it did well in SCCA production racing. The JH was just a totally bland response to the "hairy brute" of the Healey 3000. Frankly, the Healey died in 1967. Anything thereafter was a hollow echo.

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: September 14, 2011 02:58PM

Art,

Have the new headlights, moved the wheels forward, changed the profile on the tires, located a good shot of the early 'Vette bumper, deleted the Celica mirror (although I thought it looked period appropriate) and have a vent shot from an '80 Z28 (could find no examples of anything earlier). Need a little direction on the XJS sail panel though. Do you mean to retain the black, forward part of the panel as on the Jaguar? Or do you want it to all be body color?

David

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: September 16, 2011 02:09PM

Here's the latest rendition. New bumper treatment (early 'Vette), older style Porsche Speedster headlights. lower profile tires, added the lug covers to the Team III wheels, changed the fender vent/louvre to more one that could be opened or closed, 'moved' the front wheels forward about 5" (it's a relative kind of measurement) added the Costello grille, deleted the side mirror, added original Jensen turn lamps, changed Targa top to something more along the lines of a Jaguar XJS...and 'painted' it red (at Art's request). I like the changes. The lines flow better and the grille work looks more organic. Hope you like it.

Jensen_Healey_red.jpg

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

Main British Car:

Re: For Roverman, I like it !
Date: September 19, 2011 04:28PM

For all that "area" behind the front wheels, I'm thinkin Gullwing Mercedes fender vents.Any aerodynamicist out there ? I want to close-off the front,grille area,aka 914, and run a rear mount radiator, in the flat/vertical "Kamm-back" area.My plan is to run the car at Antique Drags-Barona, on Oct. 9th, 2011. Just baseline performance testing. Come on out. Cheers, roverman.

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: September 20, 2011 08:58AM

Re: gull wing vents. As per the original 1957 version or the ones found on the new Mercedes gull wing offering?

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: September 20, 2011 12:04PM

Two versions, one with the new style louvre and one with the old style. Both have the grille work blanked out.

Jensen_Healey_gulllouvrenew.jpg
Jensen_Healey_gulllouvreold.jpg

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Re: For Roverman - JH "Special" Rendering
Date: September 26, 2011 05:30PM

Art asked me to do a 3/4 rear view that would illustrate a few of the features he's considering - rear mounted radiator, re-shaped tail lights, fender flairs, 914-style rear window, deleted chrome rear trim, a 70ish rear wing (not many of those around (thank goodness for Pontiac on that one) and, as Healey Rick would say, "twice pipes. This is just the draft version so I'm sure Art has changes coming my way but, overall, it looks like it means business.

ArtGertz_JH_rear_red_draft.jpg

The wing was a late addition so it didn't make an appearance on the front view rendering.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2011 07:11PM by DC Townsend.

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Re: For Roverman - JH "Special" Rendering - finished composite
Date: September 27, 2011 09:57AM

Here's the completed rendering. I made some subtle changes to the rear (extended the egg crate grill, recessed the tail lamps, moved the exhaust) and then built the composite so you could get a more complete view of the car.

Jensen_Healey_composite_red_lr.jpg

Looking forward to seeing Art's vision 'in the flesh'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2011 02:35PM by DC Townsend.

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

Main British Car:

Re: For Roverman - JH "Special"/update
Date: September 27, 2011 07:26PM

Good job David, you demonstrate a genuine photoshop talent. My quest is that this Hemi Healey, will have the performance and handling to match the looks. This is way more exciting to me, than just one more gen III hemi 67' cuda. Meanwhile, back in the real world, I'll be running the "standard" at the Antique Drags, at Barona Raceway on Oct. 9th. If all goes well, after that some SCCA Solo II activity. I last dragged in 1973( O.C.I.R.) and slalomed in 1981(Los Alamitos). Much to learn. Thanks, roverman.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2011 11:43AM by roverman.

DC Townsend
David Townsend
Vermont
(406 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Re: For Roverman - JH "Special" Rendering - finished composite
Date: September 27, 2011 09:07PM

I can't wait to see this beast on the road. Keep me posted as you make progress. And, thanks for letting me be a part of it all. Regards.

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

Main British Car:

Re: For Roverman - JH "Special"/ the latest
Date: October 14, 2011 06:23PM

I'm waiting for quote on (4) Huffaker "E Prod" glass fenders, allowing approx 5"more track width. These cars have 49% weight on front,(a good thing). We'll see what the hemi does to that ! Obviously, I'll be jockeying for weight balance. Anyone have a parachute/lol.? Cheers, roverman.
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.