Healey Sports Cars

mods & upgrades for Healey (Nash, Austin, or Jensen) cars, including engine swaps

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

getagripgreg
Greg Stasko

(33 posts)

10/23/2008 12:08AM

Main British Car:

Re: New member with Olds 215 Bugeye
Posted by: getagripgreg
Date: March 13, 2009 12:40AM

Ok, another update.

I got the radiator, a Griffin alloy part on a Scirroco pattern. $40 more than the cost of the car.

I knew it would be a tight fit for the lower hose. I neglected to account for the fact that this rad, designed for many more horses than the sprite ( or VW) was an inch deeper. 3" vs 2".

So I had to make a bend that would route the hose around the steering rack and suspension. No problem! I'm a pro and I can weld, how hard can it be?
rad_1.jpg

Ok, this hard:
rad_turn1.jpg

Yes, I spent a few hours welding up a u-turn, several miles away from the actual car. I went and tried it, and it did not fit. Time for Mk II.
rad_turn2.jpg

Mk II fit at first. Then I fit the nose and found a problem.

rad_turn2_no.jpg

Pipe, Mk II will fit, but just barely and only if the rad is angled just so and at just the right height.

Mk II nose now fits, after I cut the rad shroud away from the top. It had been rewelded, which accounted for the 1.5" gap. Making the nose fit meant I need another few degrees of angle on the radiator, which means starting over on the rad brackets and on the pipes. :|

Being a little stalled out on the fitting side of things, I decided to concentrate on sitting and turning. I scored a new steering column, so I can cut and weld in new u-joints. And tonight, just a while ago, I bought seats on Ebay. Stupid stupid stupid money. Stupid money for seats for a car I paid $240 for. Damn I feel stupid. ($640 + shipping worth of stupid).

Now I need to final fit the radiator, with a new taller mount, then weld up water pipes to suit. I need to take the bonnet outside so I can grind enough paint off to anneal the steel and pound a larger bulge for the dizzie cap.

Then I need to weld the rad shroud to the nose so it fits, then make one good nose from two piles of crap.

I need to mount my two mortgages (oops. I mean seats) to the car, and then pull out the old spatter welded steering joints and make a decent steering column. I still need a steering wheel that does not have "BILLY" carved into it with a dull blade.

On the upside, I have newish shocks to fit all 'round. Fronts are in. I have a rebuilt MC to fit so that the rear brakes might work.

Enough for now. More after the plumbing is done and I drive it again.

Cheers,
Greg

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: March 13, 2009 12:49AM

That's one handsome looking radiator!

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Posted by: roverman
Date: May 14, 2009 11:47PM

Greg, Great stories bout-the-bugeye. I hope you still work next to the Huffaker shop? I own the "H4", TR8-GT-1, Coupe built by them. I bought it through Joe Sr. approx. 1983? I'm trying to get any pic's I can of my car in racing action as piloted by Lee Mueller and others. Any help is appreciated and of course, I'll pay for pic's. I savy Rover V8's if there's anything I can do for you. Regards, roverman.

getagripgreg
Greg Stasko

(33 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 16, 2009 05:06PM

Hi Art,
I actually work for Phil Reilly & Co down in Corte Madera, but we have a shop at Sears where the F1 cars live. The Sprite was really bringing down the property values! :)

I've been getting settled in my new place and haven't worked on the sprite much since the last post, but now it is in my own garage and I'm going to get busy today.

Can't say I know your TR8, but those sure were cool cars. do you race it regularly or is it mid-restoration?

Cheers,
Greg

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 20, 2009 08:47PM

Greg, How's it goin? I hope you still work next to Huffaker's shop. I own the "H-4" , TR-8, GT-1 Coupe,#88, as piloted by Lee Mueller and others. I'm trying to locate pictures of my car in racing action. Any assistance is greatly appreciated and I will pay. I also savvy "Wild BOAR",(Buick,Olds and Rover )V8's if there something you need for your project. Regards, roverman.

getagripgreg
Greg Stasko

(33 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: July 02, 2009 01:42AM

Update: 8 Months in.

Not much new. The car is on stands in my dark, unlit garage.

I mounted the rear shocks I got off ebay, and they are from a later car. I need to heat and twist the link shaft 180 to line up the ends properly.

Other than that, all the work is in my brain. There's just no way I'm going to find gauges on the cheap. I've been looking for something really special and period correct.

d-jag_gauges.jpg

All efforts are focused on finishing the TZ2 for Pebble at work. Then I can look at the Sprite again after August.

Cheers,
Greg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2019 08:17PM by getagripgreg.

getagripgreg
Greg Stasko

(33 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: July 02, 2009 01:46AM

Really, are these not the dog's bollocks?
D-jag_gauges_close.jpg

How much would you pay for those?

*droooooooool*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2009 01:49AM by getagripgreg.

getagripgreg
Greg Stasko

(33 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: July 28, 2009 11:37PM

Another Update:

I decided that I should compromise on the gauges, I wanted big 5" Smiths units but can't afford to go Chronometric. So I bought a pair of E-type gauges that were date stamped '64 from Ebay.
e-type-speedo.jpg
e-type-tach.jpg

Now, the E-type tach is driven by a signal generator that runs off one of the cams, not off the ignition signal like other Smiths electric tachs. So I needed to figure out how to make it work, and I found info online to make a new circuit board to run the meter mechanism. Thing is, electronics isn't my strong suit and I've never really played with circuits. The first website I found showed a really nice professionally made board and it looked beyond my skills. Then I found another site that had a much more "homebrewed" looking part that encouraged me to try it.

The first one was on a Sunbeam Tiger site:
[members.shaw.ca]

The second was from a guy that converted a Bugeye mechanical tach to modern electronics: (Steve Maas)
[www.nonlintec.com]

So I went to Radio Shack with a parts list, then to a better local electronics shop when the Shack turned out to be lacking... and I bought a bunch of parts. $11 worth of circuitry.

I had to do a bunch of reading online to figure out the details of how this works, and I had to buy more parts to correct some mistakes I made in the first buy, but I ended up with a working circuit board that actually drove my tach! I could barely believe it when it worked.
tach_test_1.jpg

That's a shot of my '64 E-type tach hooked up to my test rig and showing 500 RPM. I used an MSD ignition test box to calibrate it (which I'm lucky enough to have access to at work). On the first test, it ran out of steam at about 5300 RPM, because the circuit was designed for a 4 cylinder and I didn't read the instructions very well. I emailed Steve and he sent me some suggested changes for my application, which I followed. I changed one resistor and retested and it was dead nuts accurate at 1000 RPM and at 6000 RPM. It drifted by less than 100 RPM in the middle, but who cares?
tach_board.jpg
Here is a shot of the final board as it fits in the case.

I have a little more work to do to finish the board to work with the car's points, and I'll test it with the car before buttoning it up. I forgot to take a pic of the refurbished gauges mounted to the dash (with enlarged holes) but damn, it looks good.

I'm so jazzed by the success of this new-to-me project, that I'm now planning on making a rev-limiter and shift light. :P I'm even considering converting the speedo to use a stepper motor instead of a cable!

I'll post a shot of the dash the next time I'm here.

You gotta try this! I isn't as hard as you might think.

Cheers,
Greg

PS: Replace all "E-type" with "Mk II" 🤦‍♂️

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2019 08:23PM by getagripgreg.

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: July 29, 2009 08:18AM

NIce work Greg, now you just need to print out some new gauge faces on your computer and you can invert the instruments to match the D type and no one will know the difference. ;-)

J Man
jason adkins
NW OH
(202 posts)

01/21/2009 08:49PM

Main British Car:
'61 Morris Minor panel, '70 MGB GT, '74 MGB GT MGB 1.8, unsure yet on the GTs

Posted by: J Man
Date: December 24, 2009 06:53PM

any updates?

getagripgreg
Greg Stasko

(33 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: July 22, 2010 01:07AM

OK, stagnant for almost a year. At the last visit I had a running driving car that was on stands in my un-powered, dark garage. But the Tach was exciting, eh?

Since then, I got free Honda generator from a relative and wasted a bunch of time trying to get it to run properly and quietly enough to not annoy my neighbors. Frankly, I gave up.

About a month ago though, something sparked me into action. The big holdup has been re-constructing a bonnet so that I could final fit the radiator and weld the mounts. I don't remember what the spark was, but I finally started hammering on the nose.

This time last year, I had cut the garbage center out of the nose the car came with and and cut the center out of the rusty replacement I'd acquired. The task of making one nice part from two junk parts was daunting.

In the last few weeks, I've stripped the paint from the parts and cut the bonnet into 4 pieces: two fenders, a center, and a valance. The fenders are almost done, the center needs some detail hammer work, and the valance is still to come. All 4 parts were bent, and in different directions.

Here's a link to the pics:
[getagripgreg.smugmug.com]

The hardest remaining part is the rust repair to the back of the center section. It had stood vertical outside for years and the rear flange is rusted thru. I need to make a full width patch panel 4" deep that matches the shape of the cowl, and weld it in without distortion. I can't weld the fenders back in until I have the center repaired. I am replacing the stock bracing at the rear, which was bent and rusty, with a custom part, and I can't finish that until I have the fenders on to get the width of the new panel correct.

This is why I didn't touch it for a year!!! :)
nose_progress.jpg
fender_stiffener.jpg

More at the above link...

Cheers,
Greg

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: July 22, 2010 04:39PM

Looks like you're doing great work. Glad to see you got the spark back! Keep the updates coming. Tail of the Dragon is in May 2011 -- now you have a deadline.

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: August 15, 2010 08:34PM

Greg, is the engine short enough ? I have a "sidewinder" h2o pump. Good work, roverman.

getagripgreg
Greg Stasko

(33 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: January 01, 2014 06:25PM

So the thing is...

I have not been able to find the motivation to work on this project for over three years now. Last year I bought

a fiberglass bonnet with the hope of rebooting progress, but I found even the simple task of fitting it beyond my

interest.

It is time for someone else to take over and hopefully make a useable car.

Here is a video of how she sits right now:
[www.youtube.com]

I drove this car into the garage in 2009 and it does not require much to drive out:
- Glass bonnet needs windows cut to clear the ignition and carb
- Diff cover resealed and filled
- Mount seats, tires, bleed clutch

To make it a useable car, it needs:
- finish nose mounts and radiator mounts
- fabricate tunnel over gearbox
- dash and wiring / lighting
- mount rear shocks
- misc minor mechanical
- Body and paint:
-- remove surface rust and prime
-- Rust repair required under passenger seat, rear quarters and rear valance

Comes with original CA black plates front and rear.

Looking to get some of my money back without parting it out. $4500 OBO.

Thanks for watching,
Greg
getagripgreg (at) yahoodotcom

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: January 02, 2014 12:49PM

Greg, FWIW, I have +.06" pistons. You still need ? Perhaps a "crab cap", on the distributor /possible shortening of the dizzy body ? looks like a blast of a project. Enjoy, roverman.

getagripgreg
Greg Stasko

(33 posts)

Main British Car:

Re: Olds 215 Bugeye Progress
Date: March 22, 2015 01:59PM

OK, since there was limited interest in this car as a unfinished project, I had to go ahead and finish it so that I could find it a happy new owner.

CAM00383-XL.jpg

It is in the final stages, but I still have quite a lot of work to do.

CAM00391-XL.jpg

Unfortunately my deadline is April 1, because that's when it needs to be out of my garage. I am moving out for an extended road trip and I am in the process of eliminating all of my unneeded posessions.

CAM00393-XL.jpg

I will be moving the car to Reno to finish in the next month, and will be advertising it when I finish detailing the paint.

CAM00375-XL.jpg

getagripgreg
Greg Stasko

(33 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: March 22, 2015 02:18PM

I also need to get the title sorted out so that I can send it on its way with the original CA black plates. Remember 2009?

DSCN3081-XL.jpg

It has been an insane amount of work over the last 9 months since I really started hammering away at it.

August

CAM00199-XL.jpg

September

DSCN5095-XL.jpg

October

IMG_2623-XL.jpg

getagripgreg
Greg Stasko

(33 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: March 22, 2015 02:23PM

November

CAM00269-XL.jpg

December

DSCN5250-XL.jpg

January

IMG_3397-XL.jpg

February (was supposed to be done by January 1!)

CAM00344-XL.jpg

getagripgreg
Greg Stasko

(33 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: March 22, 2015 02:42PM

March...

CAM00361-XL.jpg

That final primer sand-out was Feb. 25 and since then it's been paint and polish, reassemble dash and finish wiring, install interior, sourcing screws and trim, etc etc... All the while trying to clear out my house and garage, and buy an RV! (and quit my job and finish all the current projects going on there). Whew.

Here is the last Bugatti for the forseeable future.

IMG_3733-L.jpg

I still have a punch list of mechanical items to sort out, like finishing the hand brake linkage, changing the shock oil for a heavier action, misc details everywhere. I better get back to work!

Cheers,
Greg

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Posted by: 88v8
Date: March 23, 2015 02:44PM

Well, a lot of people would just have given up, so well done.
Who knows, you might decide to keep it after all.

If you decide to park the car while you're on your trip, do take the trouble to lay it up properly with the weight off the tyres, fresh brake fluid, the axle filled to the brim etc so it will still be good to go when you get back.

Ivor
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.