Healey Sports Cars

mods & upgrades for Healey (Nash, Austin, or Jensen) cars, including engine swaps

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

aero3113
Keith Urso
Long Island, N.Y.
(24 posts)

08/19/2016 07:36PM

Main British Car:
1956 Austin Healey 100 Chevy 350

100-4 Pusher Fan
Posted by: aero3113
Date: April 09, 2017 11:37AM

Any of you guys with a 100-4 have an electric pusher fan installed behind the front grill?(in front of the radiator) If so, what size fan are you using and please post pics of how it's mounted if possible. Thanks!

maxwedge5281
larry ingram
south carolina
(52 posts)

09/23/2014 05:59AM

Main British Car:
59 bn6 zz4 sbc 200 4R aod, 59bn6 302 ford, tremec

Re: 100-4 Pusher Fan
Posted by: maxwedge5281
Date: April 24, 2017 08:40AM

keith, i have a 100-6 so space limitations may be different. i use a puller fan on my sbc motor. using the sbc short water pump and off- setting the fan gave me just enough room to clear the fan assembly. i had a bj7 and it had a pusher fan as you are mentioning. it worked very well at lower speeds and slow driving. but, it did seem to block some of the air flow through the radiator at interstate speeds. on a long drive on a very hot day temps might get a little higher than you might wish....i dont know as there are so many variables involved. if you can find space for a puller i think that you will be much happier. i used a 16 inch fan as that is the width of my radiator and i do not have a shroud. good luck!

aero3113
Keith Urso
Long Island, N.Y.
(24 posts)

08/19/2016 07:36PM

Main British Car:
1956 Austin Healey 100 Chevy 350

Posted by: aero3113
Date: April 24, 2017 08:52PM

Thanks for the info Larry,I would hate to overheat at highway speed!

Sidecardoug
Doug Rowe
Northern Nevada
(51 posts)

07/04/2012 05:09PM

Main British Car:
1969 TR-6 Ford 302

Posted by: Sidecardoug
Date: July 27, 2017 06:54PM

I had a 61 3000 with a built 289 in it, and a pusher fan. The biggest cooling problem with ANY V8 Healey
is getting the hot air out of the engine compartment, especially at low speeds. I have experienced
similar problems with my TR6/302 with a puller fan. With the Healey, there are several options, the most common being to louver the hood ( bonnet ). A nice way to go is building in side vents like the Healey works rally cars had. These triangular shaped vents were built into the side of the fenders between the wheel arch and the door. The leading edge followed the curve of the wheel arch, and the corners were all rounded..

If You look at Ian Osborne's car in the Healey gallery, you will see the fender vents I was talking about. There are several others with similar vents, as well.

One other possibility would be to put louvers into the inner fenders, allowing air to flow into the low pressure area around the wheels.

Also, make sure the radiator cap is the highest part of your cooling system ! Air bubbles can be a real problem. They can sometimes be detected by using a laser thermometer and taking readings on the upper hose between the radiator and the manifold outlet, or along the heater hose lines. A surge tank or a fitting that allows the placement of a radiator cap at the highest point of the upper hose ( available from Summit or Jeg's pretty inexpensively ) can be used if the radiator is lower than the highest part of the hose.

Hope this proves useful
Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2017 07:37PM by Sidecardoug.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.