Healey Sports Cars

mods & upgrades for Healey (Nash, Austin, or Jensen) cars, including engine swaps

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

PTBHVAC
Philip Thompson

(3 posts)

04/03/2020 10:06AM

Main British Car:

overheating issue
Posted by: PTBHVAC
Date: May 12, 2020 10:08AM

Hey guys, I have a 1955 100-4 with a 327 Chevy.

I am having overheating problems. There is only a pusher fan (set to 180 degrees) single fan with now shroud.

on short drives I am seeing temps rise above 200 in 80 degree weather. There are side vents on the fenders and a 55 T-bird hood scoop on the hood, but it is not louvered

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_4332.JPG
IMG_4333.JPG

PTBHVAC
Philip Thompson

(3 posts)

04/03/2020 10:06AM

Main British Car:

Re: overheating issue
Posted by: PTBHVAC
Date: May 12, 2020 10:16AM

I am trying to add more pictures but it seems that they need to be less than 1000 KB and all of mine are more than that Any one have a suggestion on how to take a picture that is less than 1000 KB

Spitfire 350
Phil McConnell
Perrysburg, OH (Toledo area)
(257 posts)

01/11/2010 09:19PM

Main British Car:
74 Spitfire 350Chevy

authors avatar
Posted by: Spitfire 350
Date: May 12, 2020 11:30AM

I resize in "Paint" Lock aspect ratio and resize to 20 % works for me.
Pusher fans do not work as well as pullers. A shroud improves a puller fan's efficiency.

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Posted by: 88v8
Date: May 13, 2020 04:40AM

Hello and welcome.

Ha!
I was wondering how many cylinders you have in there then I realised it's two pictures stitched together.
Another resize option, in Pictures, with the pics in thumbnails, right-click on the pic and choose Edit, then in the top menu bar there's a resize option. If you want to keep the original pic full-size, when you're done choose Save As and call it dididly dum Smaller.

So, is this a new build?
Has it always overheated, or is this a new problem?
What if it sits at idle?

The 327 in my Rambler boiled over in two minutes from cold when I bought it - fuel pressure wrong, timing wrong. Would have been great for a short-order kitchen.

Ivor

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: May 13, 2020 05:22PM

For photo sizing... several websites also offer free online tools. It's been a while since I used one, but I just now did a web search for "online photo resizer" and found a couple candidates.

So... has your engine actually boiled over? I'm not sure that you really have a problem, because in my experience most engines are happy to run all day at 200F. You're running at least a 50/50 mix of antifreeze to water, right? Your cooling system is pressurized, right? So, your engine shouldn't actually boil over until somewhere around 225 or 230, right? I think 210 to 215 is a good target temperature: low enough to keep pressure down where things don't leak, but warm enough for best efficiency and for any condensation in the crankcase to be vaporized.

For peace of mind... do you have a way to verify your gauge, temperature sensor, and thermostats? Back in the day, I verified all the system components I could... in my kitchen, in a saucepan of water, on my stove. (It's helpful to have a good thermometer and a multimeter.)

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Posted by: 88v8
Date: May 14, 2020 04:10AM

Pressurised..... good point.
Are you sure you have the correct poundage cap on there? Correct for the engine that is, not 'correct' for the original car?
Sorry if that's stating the bleedin obvious but it wouldn't be the first car to be running the wrong pressure cap.

Ivor

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: March 30, 2021 09:51PM

Phillip, a couple of things.
Cutis is right, you might be just fine at the current temps.
If not.
You need to seal up the airflow around the radiator. All the air coming in through that tiny little grill must pass through that rad.
The pusher fan is an air flow obstacle, finding a way to pull air is best. An engine driven fan might be your best friend.
That engine compartment is tight, put an air dam under the rad to drop the pressure under the car. That will pull more air through the rad.
Seal up the hood scoop. It's adding air pressure behind the rad.
Get a custom built rad. You have lots more room that can be utilized for cooling.
Hope that helps
Cheers
Fred

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.