Healey Sports Cars

mods & upgrades for Healey (Nash, Austin, or Jensen) cars, including engine swaps

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

alsop
Aaron Alsop

(4 posts)

08/06/2021 11:46PM

Main British Car:

1961 AH 3000 - Project and Lots of Questions...
Posted by: alsop
Date: August 07, 2021 03:07PM

Hey all,

I'm a new owner of a 61 AH 3000 that has already had a rebuilt 289 and new T5 installed in it - but there is some work needed to complete the project.

I have been doing some research and I have a few questions I'm hoping people here can help out with:

1. Headers: There are clearance issues with the exhaust manifolds. I have heard of people using Tiger ones but they are not so easy to find. Have there been any alternatives, or should I go down the path of fabricating my own.

2. Rear End: It has a Ford 9" rear end, but the wire wheels someone put on the car are not stock and the result are front and rear wheels / tires that stick out way too far for my liking. For those that went Ford 9" what width did you along with what wheel size/offset to get them flush with the quarters? For those that went Ford 8" any recommendation on a donor vehicle that will result in a flush look and again size/offset choice?

3. Suspension: I have seen a car by "uncle cracker" on here that is amazing and it looks like he went Mustang II IFS with coilovers. I've been searching for AH kits, but no luck. Anyone do a similar suspension swap? I'm not sure if I want to go through the effort yet and just collecting solid research / how-to information. On the rears, I've seen a kit from Johnny Law for a 4-link kit for the rear. Has anyone used this kit or recommendation on someone else that has a 4-link kit for the Healey?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Aaron
IMG_1671.jpeg

alsop
Aaron Alsop

(4 posts)

Main British Car:

Re: 1961 AH 3000 - Project and Lots of Questions...
Date: August 07, 2021 03:09PM

Oh the tires are 195/65 R 15

So there is some opportunity to go down to 185 to get a bit more clearance inside the wheel wells if I narrow the rear.

HealeyRick
Rick Neville

(489 posts)

12/19/2007 05:01PM

Main British Car:
1963 Austin-Healey 3000 Ford 5.0L

authors avatar
Posted by: HealeyRick
Date: August 08, 2021 10:49AM

Hi Aaron,

Headers - I think a lot will depend on whether the engine mounting towers are still in place and how much the footwells were narrowed when the 289 was installed. Both will limit your options regarding header layout. I went the Sunbeam Tiger route, but as you say they are getting hard to find. One thing that may work is the 289 log manifold swapped side to side so the outlet is at the front and looping the downpipe towards the back. I've also seen these 289 Cobra manifolds that may work, but I'm not positive.
download (3).jpg They are being reproduced, I believe.

IaTR6
Dennis Costello
Central Iowa
(191 posts)

12/29/2007 02:53PM

Main British Car:
'73 TR 6 '97 Explorer 5.0

Posted by: IaTR6
Date: August 08, 2021 10:58AM

Have a look at Patriot H8482-1, I used these because I thought the pancake design would lay flatter than the
tight tuck which have all four tubes join at one place. On one side, I had need to move the header in just a touch. I located a machine shop that
had a type of belt sander machine they used to flatten exhaust manifolds and they ground the header mating surface
at just a slight angle, which got me what I needed.
Just a suggestion.
I have a TR6, and I tried to hold the engine forward to reduce interior intrusion, so I'm a little tight with side clearance.
Dennis

HealeyRick
Rick Neville

(489 posts)

12/19/2007 05:01PM

Main British Car:
1963 Austin-Healey 3000 Ford 5.0L

authors avatar
Posted by: HealeyRick
Date: August 08, 2021 11:00AM

Regarding your suspension and rear end. I suppose it depends on what you want to do with the car. If you are interested in straightline performance and drag racing starts then a beefier rear end might be in order. I'd want to see if a rear from an Explorer could be narrowed, it would have the advantage of disc rear brakes: [thefabricatorseries.com]

Frankly, if you want to bring it back to a more stock look and aren't going to be pounding on it, you could probably swap back to a stock Healey rear. They are pretty sturdy and will take some abuse. You may want to look at a Quaife if you don't want a peg leg.
Fit a thicker anti-roll bar, and perhaps the Bilstein conversion [putzkes-fahrspass.com] and you'll probably be happy with the handling Going back to a stock rear end would solve your wire wheel problem

You can take a look at my swap, it may give you some ideas: [forum.britishv8.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2021 11:03AM by HealeyRick.

IaTR6
Dennis Costello
Central Iowa
(191 posts)

12/29/2007 02:53PM

Main British Car:
'73 TR 6 '97 Explorer 5.0

Posted by: IaTR6
Date: August 08, 2021 11:04AM

I rechecked my project journal listed as Dennis' TR6 on about the second page of the projects pages,
and near the end there is a picture of the offending side of my conversion. I even had to trim some sheet metal anyway, and add a strengthening
plate to the removed body section. In a swap, there are many conflicts to resolve.
I'm somewhat mystified why so many folks are committed to the Ford 9". It's certainly a stout
choice, but is it not overkill on a car of under 3000#? Plus, it's heavy, and adds considerable unsprung weight.
Dennis

alsop
Aaron Alsop

(4 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: August 08, 2021 12:02PM

Ya I agree on the Ford 9". I use them in my hot rod projects as they can handle the power and I only use Posi ones.

However, in this case it could be over kill. They hold their value though so I may go with an 8" or if it is a Posi 3rd member I could but a shortened kit from Speedway and swap it over.

I'm likely going to change the wheels entirely to get the more correct look - but that's after I get the mechanical sorted.

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Posted by: roverman
Date: August 26, 2021 12:22PM

On 8" rears, A.I.R., Falcon, Mustang , Comet and Maverick should be narrow enough, 5 on 4,.5" wheel pattern best. New 8" parts cost as much or more than 9".
Good Luck, Art.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.