Trip Anthony

(162 posts)

08/18/2009 01:16AM

Main British Car:
1980 TR7 performance 4 cyl

Coscast blocks
Posted by: TRip
Date: August 20, 2009 02:54PM

Hello everyone. I'm completely new here and this is my first post.

Does anyone know anything about Coscast blocks?

Are they exclusively an aftermarket item from [www.mahle-powertrain.com] or, can they be found in later model 4.6 Rover V8's?

Are they readily available and how do you ID them?

I have tonnes of questions about the project that I'd like to carry out on my TR7 to TR7V8.

So I'd be thankful for any and all insight that you may share.

Thanks in advance.

Trip

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2009 06:17PM by TRip.

NixVegaGT
Nicolas Wiederhold
Minneapolis, MN
(659 posts)

10/16/2007 05:30AM

Main British Car:
'73 Vega GT 4.9L Rover/Buick Stroker

authors avatar
Re: Coscast blocks
Posted by: NixVegaGT
Date: August 21, 2009 11:36AM

I haven't heard of them. Anybody else?

castlesid
Kevin Jackson
Sidcup UK
(361 posts)

11/18/2007 10:38AM

Main British Car:
1975 MGB GT Rover V8 4.35L

Posted by: castlesid
Date: August 22, 2009 10:31AM

Trip,

I haven't actyally heard whether any of the coscast blocks made it into any production vehicles or were used to replace cracked 4.0 /4.6 blocks under warranty.

I was told by a LandRover engineer that they were cast to a far higher standard than the originals and having seen pictures of the castings I was under the impression that was the case.

However within the last week I have heard that amongst 19 blocks V8 Developments had in for repair with top hat liners, that two were Coscast blocks, but I did not hear this direct from V8 Devopments so cannot swear to the accuracy of the information.

You don't show your location but if in the US it may be cheaper to find a used 4.6 engine and have it top Hat linered.

Kevin.

TRip
Trip Anthony

(162 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: August 22, 2009 02:00PM

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the insight.

You're right, if Coscast blocks are coming back with the same issue, then it wouldn't be worth the expense of new.

Top hat linered 4.6 may just be the way to go.

If you get any confirmation or further info about the "V8 Devopments" report could you please post or PM me?

I'll also check into it and post when I find any info.

Thanks,

Trip

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Posted by: roverman
Date: August 23, 2009 12:47PM

Trip, Please read ,"new Rover blocks" ,several entries, including one from ,"Nic", remember Nic? I've been talking to Mahle drivetrain to attempt/convince them to sell bare/flanged, linered blocks in aftermarket. Since there was no real intrest from this forum, it has'nt went anywhere. Good Luck, roverman.

TRip
Trip Anthony

(162 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: August 23, 2009 02:52PM

Okay, I'll read the ,"new Rover blocks" post.

BTW. I've been researching Coscast and have come across a co. [www.v8developments.co.uk] that states that they use Coscast blocks in their builds. I've emailed them to enquire if they sell bare blocks. I'll post when I have an answer.

Trip

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: August 23, 2009 09:47PM

I'd love to have one, but $1700 for just the block. I can't do that.

[forum.britishv8.org]

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: August 23, 2009 11:50PM

Carl, Mahle drivetrain quoted you that amount? That sounds like a "V8 Developments" price,(retail), but when I contacted them, they had no interest in selling bare blocks. Obviously the better way is to buy them here/direct. If/when the TA or "other" hiperf. heads are fully exploited, they'll need a sturdy block. I'm thinking if enough people inquired of Mahle drivetrain,who knows we might even get a sonic report for cylinder wall/alum. thickness? I've already asked them to consider flanged liners and taller lifter bores,(use std. chev. roller lifters). roverman.

TRip
Trip Anthony

(162 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: August 24, 2009 02:22PM

roverman, you and I both wanted the Coscast block to eliminate the issue of porsity. However, a friend contacted V8 dev and got the following response:

We can no longer supply Costcast blocks or short motors.

Coscast blocks do not address the problems associated with Rover blocks ie slipping liners and porosity.

We use top hated blocks as these address all the problems. The liners cannot move as they are clamped between the head face and the block

And the fitting procedure eliminates the porosity problems. We have used top hated blocks for over 30yrs and to date have had

No failures . The blocks are top hated, New cam bearings fitted, line bore checked, cam alignment checked, new core plugs fitted and the

Oil gallery plugs removed then the is block acid dipped and chemically cleaned. The cost of a top hated block on exchange is £895 + VAT. An

Outright purchase is available for £995 + VAT.

Thanks for your enquiry

Ray Webb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2009 09:02PM by TRip.

v8fangio
Steve Foldhazy
Sydney,OZ
(5 posts)

10/04/2009 12:17AM

Main British Car:
73 MGBGTV8 M.G.4.2

Posted by: v8fangio
Date: October 04, 2009 01:02AM

RPI Engineering U.K. have them on their website

hoffbug
Tony Hoffer
Minnesota
(323 posts)

10/15/2007 05:25PM

Main British Car:
Olds 215 EFI

Posted by: hoffbug
Date: October 04, 2009 10:53AM

Nic and I both have used blocks bought domestically that we are having fitted with top hat liners from Westwood in the UK..

[westwoodcylinderliners.co.uk]

Nic's are done .. mine are still in the box awaiting capital... LOL

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: October 04, 2009 12:58PM

Ok, so if we're to believe, anything in that, How to build a Rover V8,unless I "missed" something, the "issue" was core-shift in the bores not porosity. Big difference. If were building a 'pink" or otherwise, block and using "flanged liners", a wise choice would be a thoughrough visual after orig. sleeves removed,dye penetrant, pressure and sonic test, all sound insurance to purchase prior to proceeding further. If you don't like the wall thicnesses on say , major thrust side,(sonic report), you can still offset compensate. I still believe if enough people requested blocks without liners or with flanged liners, including a sonic report from Mahle, it could happen. roverman.

hoffbug
Tony Hoffer
Minnesota
(323 posts)

Main British Car:
Olds 215 EFI

Date: October 04, 2009 03:15PM

Nothing a 4 axis boring machine couldnt compensate for..

NixVegaGT
Nicolas Wiederhold
Minneapolis, MN
(659 posts)

10/16/2007 05:30AM

Main British Car:
'73 Vega GT 4.9L Rover/Buick Stroker

authors avatar
Posted by: NixVegaGT
Date: October 05, 2009 11:07AM

Well I just sleeved a block I'm CERTAIN has cracks in it. The way it was heat cycled by the time I got it two liners had already dropped. We'll see what happens.

SO that's a couple things I'm testing.

1. Hyper eutectic pistons with moderate compression but no chance of detonation.
2. Block porosity behind the cylinders.

I'm eager to see what happens. I didn't have the balls to just pin the liners. LOL. Otherwise I'd be testing that too.

TRip
Trip Anthony

(162 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: October 05, 2009 01:41PM

Hey Nicholas,

If the sleeves drop again, get a set of top hat liners next time around and have the block checked and welded. If the motor hasn't been put together yet, it may be best just to top hat it now before assembly rather than having to break it all down again in the future.

"Hyper eutectic pistons" ie: cast pistons are good for stock applications but if you plan on adding a lot of HP and or compression, forged pistons are the way to go.

Not sure that pinning the liners is the ideal way to go. Top hats are. Top hats also reduce the possibility of coolant getting by the heads/block into the cylinders and also pressurizing the coolant system... More problems :(

Trip

hoffbug
Tony Hoffer
Minnesota
(323 posts)

Main British Car:
Olds 215 EFI

Date: October 05, 2009 03:57PM

Anthony .. Nic and I have top hat liners.

TRip
Trip Anthony

(162 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: October 05, 2009 05:08PM

Nice... you guys definitely made the right choice. No dropped liners next time.

Trip

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: October 05, 2009 07:52PM

Yeah and .002" "proud" above the deck for o-ring effect? AnAn maybe a "little" relieving on top of bores to enhance air flow? roverman.

Roverboy
Rino Granito

(12 posts)

10/20/2009 09:16PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Roverboy
Date: October 20, 2009 09:25PM

good point roverman,

I was just wondering if decking was not part of the overall process. However with decking and head planing we need to difert some attention to head gasket thickness and or valve/piston clearance issues and this more so dependant on the cam profile lift/duration etc etc.

we must be respectful that one change will affect other components on any engine rebuild.

I do however like the tophat sleeving solution, but care must be taken in choice of sleeve, wall thickness etc etc.

Robrover
Rob Thornton
Adelaide, Australia
(20 posts)

10/01/2009 11:52PM

Main British Car:
1978 Rover SD1 4.6

Posted by: Robrover
Date: November 14, 2009 12:07AM

One of the best solutions seems to be provided by Turner Engineering who use the incredibly strong ductile iron flanged sleeves. They insert these into seasoned 4.0/4.6 blocks, and sometimes new ones (presumably NOS Land Rover blocks, not Coscast ones). They even guarantee them for 3 years. I've never heard of one failing.

RPI claim that one of the dangers of top hats is that the flange at the top can, in certain circumstances, crack or break off - though I've never seen or read any reports of that happening other than the RPI site advertising the advantages of Coscasts.

But with V8Developments reporting cracks starting to appear behind the (non top hat) liners of Coscast blocks it seems the safest bet is to go for a strong flanged block - and Turners appear to have demonstrated best practice here.
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.