Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Re: T56 opinions please.
Posted by: roverman
Date: September 04, 2009 08:04PM

Nic-et all... "Where de hell is he comin frumm"? We'll see how you spew after YURR alien abduction!. focuz, focuz,If I were to consider, semi-shiftless( paddle), I'd sooner go CVCT... in a T-axle, yeah thats-it ! Tripp, many irs's and t-axels can be converted to inboard disk, ie. C-5 has potential with approx 10.5" disk, billet rear cover doubles as caliper mounts. Aluminum metal matrix rotors=1/3 the weight. This set-up is going in my 69 AMX. Nearly all caliper mounts/adapters can be machined from alum. billet = lighter and best heat dissipation, 7075- T6= approx 105 ksi. ut. Guy on craigslist now has (2) Boxter "S" t-axles, asking $1,600 ea.1 with 200 mi.orig.These are holding 280 hp. in std form. I paid $1,200 for C5, b.h. thru compl. t-axle and suspension clip. The deals are out-there, you just have to dig for them. Happy Hunting, roverman.

TRip
Trip Anthony

(162 posts)

08/18/2009 01:16AM

Main British Car:
1980 TR7 performance 4 cyl

Posted by: TRip
Date: September 04, 2009 08:39PM

Art,

"Aluminum metal matrix rotors=1/3 the weight. This set-up is going in my 69 AMX. " Nice - That's definitely going to be something to see!! Hope you'll post some pics or at least a link to your site when the car's done or even as the project advances!!!

"many irs's and t-axels can be converted to inboard disk, ie. C-5 has potential with approx 10.5" disk" Now... that's cool :0

"billet rear cover doubles as caliper mounts" Okay, now I'm totally fascinated!! I'm going to search and see if I can come up with some more info now that I know it's possible.

Trip

TR6-6SPD
Ken Hiebert
Toronto Ontario
(255 posts)

04/23/2008 11:43AM

Main British Car:
1972 TR6 1994 5.7 L GM LT1

authors avatar
Posted by: TR6-6SPD
Date: September 05, 2009 07:50PM

Trip,
Getting back to the original question, "opinions on the T56", I can say I've probably let 20 people drive my LT1 6 speed TR6 and nobody has ever complained about it shifting in a notchy or clunky manner. This was the first T56 I ever used and I was suprised at how easy the clutch and transmission was to work. You're right, they put heaps of them out there for all sorts of people to drive so you would think they would try to make them comfortable.

Curtis is right though, you won't "need" one for durability or performance with your track use. Bragging rights? Sure, then you can do something silly like state it on your licience plate. Fuel economy? That's probably why the manufactureres put them in there. Cruising at 1,900 RPM doing 90 MPH is kind of neat.

My engine came with the T56 hanging off the end of it so I just jammed it in there as is. I don't think I'd go looking for one though.

Ken

TRip
Trip Anthony

(162 posts)

08/18/2009 01:16AM

Main British Car:
1980 TR7 performance 4 cyl

Posted by: TRip
Date: September 05, 2009 09:13PM

Hello Ken

Not sure how we got so far off topic.... Thanks for bringing it back to T56. :)

Thank you for the first hand insight about the T56. I've driven some of the older American cars - Mustang, Camaro, Trans Am etc with 5 spds and they all had that notchy, clunky feel. I wonder if those were older Tremacs or even T5s?

"This was the first T56 I ever used and I was suprised at how easy the clutch and transmission was to work." That's really nice to hear. I've been thinking that it probably must be pretty smooth because they use them in Aston Martins, too.

"then you can do something silly like state it on your licience plate." You did that, didn't you - That's okay, it's a pretty cool mod to be able to brag about!

Fuel economy is a factor as I would like to be able to take it on long road trips not just cruising around town. I figured it's a transmission that can handle a wide range of uses ie: the best of all worlds.

"Cruising at 1,900 RPM doing 90 MPH is kind of neat." I totally agree with you, especially since the LT1 is a torquey motor with lots in the low end.

Trip
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.