Elyria, OH
(111 posts)

08/25/2008 07:47PM

Main British Car:
1978 MGB 3.5 Rover V8

Source for Rover crankshaft speedi-sleeve
Posted by: mabie1978
Date: August 27, 2009 12:52PM

Hi guys, my machine shop has been trying to a week to get a sleeve for the rear of the crankshaft due to some issues with the seal area. I have talked to Mark and it sounded like they were very expensive and hard to come by, that the best answer was to weld and regrind the end of the crank to spec. My shop doesn't think this is the best option or most cost efficient and they went on the trail of the company who makes them according to Mark and the trail has them back to Ohio. Are their other sources out there? If so could you share a couple? Other than this the engine block is complete and waiting for me to get it built. Many thanks!!

mabie1978
Michelle Pierce
Elyria, OH
(111 posts)

Main British Car:
1978 MGB 3.5 Rover V8

Re: Source for Rover crankshaft speedi-sleeve
Date: August 31, 2009 07:19PM

Nevermind. The machine shop finally received the part today and I should get my block back sometime this week to begin the assembly. Picked up the heads today from another shop with a few changes made to run the Crower 50232 cam and the new valve seals. So next is to reassemble the heads, hopefully they go together as easily as they came apart. Too bad we are having company over the weekend, I might finally get to test fit it in the next couple weeks.

NixVegaGT
Nicolas Wiederhold
Minneapolis, MN
(659 posts)

10/16/2007 05:30AM

Main British Car:
'73 Vega GT 4.9L Rover/Buick Stroker

authors avatar
Posted by: NixVegaGT
Date: August 31, 2009 08:25PM

Sweet. This sounds very familiar. I've been waiting for a month to get back my engine. The pistons are being machined for the taller cam, and the sleeves are getting redone. They were waiting for a cutter they ordered for the pistons. LOL. They've all got the same line!

mabie1978
Michelle Pierce
Elyria, OH
(111 posts)

Main British Car:
1978 MGB 3.5 Rover V8

Date: September 02, 2009 10:11AM

I have been waiting about 2 weeks for them to get the folks to deliver that sleeve, everything else had been done already. I believe they were going to do a final test fit where they machined off a bit on the end of the crank to allow for the input shaft of the t5. Picked up the heads yesterday and now need to reassemble them in order to get those fitted. And I think Scot is coming in the next week or so to pick up the '74 B which will free up some more room in my garage so my B v8 process can really begin. I hope to have it running by the end of September and can't wait. The guy who did the heads had to call up my v8 guru and borrow the cutter for the heads, he forgot that when he does heads for Bernie that he brings his own. So I guess they all have to wait for something :).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.