La
(173 posts)

09/17/2009 04:42PM

Main British Car:
1963 Sunbeam Alpine Series 2 Ford 2.8 V6

Re: shorten the engine?
Posted by: socorob
Date: October 06, 2009 10:39PM

Im in Mandeville, the only flooding ive gotten so far was the rain coming in from the big hole the half a tree left in my bedroom roof that katrina thought would look good there.. Looks like youve got some workk ahead of you..Maybe they can make a section Euro V8 for your project and ive seen some alfas and fiats on the web with v6s and other engines that might could fit too.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: October 07, 2009 12:18AM

Quote:
Maybe they can make a section Euro V8 for your project...

I don't know about Alfas and Fiats, but I might be persuaded to help a little with finding a home for an older Volvo. They're so very cool. I've been wanting one myself for a long time. You'll notice that there's BOTH a "Volvo" section and a "Not Actually British" section toward the bottom of this photo gallery: [www.britishv8.org]

Dave
David Gable
Jax
(112 posts)

10/23/2007 05:40AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Dave
Date: October 07, 2009 06:42AM

Hi, Bjorn, my daughter lives in Slidell. She moved there this year to attend LSU after two years at Florida State. I'm not too happy about it but that;s what she wants to do. Her mom lives there, at least, so she'll have some family close by.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: October 07, 2009 08:23AM

Curtis, I know an old guy who owns a Volvo he's been trying to sell. Don't know much about it except he was driving it a few years back. Has kinda curvy fenders.

Jim

socorob
Robbie
La
(173 posts)

09/17/2009 04:42PM

Main British Car:
1963 Sunbeam Alpine Series 2 Ford 2.8 V6

Posted by: socorob
Date: October 07, 2009 10:25PM

[www.applefarmerracing.com]

Is yours gonna look like this panamericana racer?

nalle
Bjorn Nilsson

(21 posts)

09/29/2009 12:03AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: nalle
Date: October 08, 2009 12:13PM

Wow there are a lot of people with connections to Slidell. How odd is not that, since it is a small town.

Robbie: No I am sort of a purist and would like to make it look "factory made" with the possibility to convert it back to original condition. The car itself is, besides being in pieces, fairly rare to the point everything is matching, except the transmission. I have the M41 instead which is 4+OD, and it works much better with the rear end that has a 4.56 ratio, than the 4 speed it came with originally. Funny part is; it has lived major part of its life in the same state as the car pictured in your post, only difference is, it is heavier and has more doors and a cargo area you actually can sleep in, and no race factor.
My plan was in the beginning to make it into a look-a-like factory racing team service car, with a hotter B18B, similar to what they had when they raced backed then and won the -64 championship in rally. Something like this
[gaz] it originates from this thread [amazon.forum.bilia.se] which is the Swedish Volvo Amazon Club's forum.

Now we are very far from the topic... how to shorten a BOPR to 24".

pizza914
Jamie Rust

(12 posts)

07/21/2008 12:22AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: pizza914
Date: November 01, 2009 09:28PM

Love to see some pictures of a 215 shortened. I have mine in a my 1970 Porsche 914. My problem is the water pump sticks forward to far. I'd like to shorten the front a few inches if possible. Was going to go with a remote electric pump. If I can keep it belt driven I would that. How much differance does the FWD v6 front make? Pics of your setups please

NixVegaGT
Nicolas Wiederhold
Minneapolis, MN
(659 posts)

10/16/2007 05:30AM

Main British Car:
'73 Vega GT 4.9L Rover/Buick Stroker

authors avatar
Posted by: NixVegaGT
Date: November 02, 2009 08:12AM

I'd like to see that too. Thanks in advance, Bjorn.

nalle
Bjorn Nilsson

(21 posts)

09/29/2009 12:03AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: nalle
Date: November 02, 2009 04:08PM

I am not there yet and this project will rest until I am done with rebuilding my house after last fall's flood. What I am pondering on is to modify a later cover without the distributor and a shortened cam, so a slightly modified water pump could work as belt driven. I do not know if the idea is feasible or not, but I need to shave off 3 - 3 1/2 inches to make it fit, or all parts gets recycled on the net and I have to settle with a 1.8 liter.

Something remarkable is that some of you guys use Volvo rockers for your applications and to take into consideration back in the days Buick pistons were used in the Volvo B18 to make it into a 2 liter. It is like there is a connection. I once had an engine built by Elleman-Jacobsen to this configuration, with at hotter cam and ported head with modified valves from Volvo's PV831 (I think it was), balanced, and with a tuned header. It could idle at really low rpm and still never miss a fire, actually it sounded like an old North Sea fishing boat and would respond like it had double DCOE when given throttle. It was impressive.

Since Volvo's rockers are used by some I wonder if anyone have considered the roller rockers that are available for B18/B20. I know there is now an updated shaft too that is wayyyy beefier than the original one (if anyone uses Volvo's shaft use B18 as it has thicker goods), and it might be able to get it "unmodified" from the supplier so it can be configured to BOPR's rocker stands. Just a thought, chime in please.
Source is [www.kgtrimning.com]

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 02, 2009 04:44PM

I've got a Buick front cover I've been carving on with the portaband saw, I can post some photos for you guys:

MVC-491F.JPG

MVC-492F.JPG

MVC-493F.JPG

Now aside from the fact that there's a hole that needs welded shut and some other welding and finish work is needed, this is the fast track to a short engine, using a remote water pump and electric fan.

Jim

NixVegaGT
Nicolas Wiederhold
Minneapolis, MN
(659 posts)

10/16/2007 05:30AM

Main British Car:
'73 Vega GT 4.9L Rover/Buick Stroker

authors avatar
Posted by: NixVegaGT
Date: November 03, 2009 09:08AM

The front cover does hang WAY off the front. I suppose we could mill that whole flange down flat and put a plate across the water pump housing mount. You could shave like 1/2" from the flange and another 4" by removing the pump. Then add an inch for a couple inlet ports… Well I suppose you could just weld a bung off each side of the front cover where the water inlet goes and make a crossover to feed each side.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 03, 2009 10:17AM

That is what I was thinking. Of course, with a concentric pump and crank trigger it could be cut all the way back to the timing chain, gaining maybe 6" overall except for down at the crank, and a side driven external pump would be about the same. Still need the accessory drives of course.

Jim
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.