(361 posts)

11/18/2007 10:38AM

Main British Car:
1975 MGB GT Rover V8 4.35L

Re: Newbie first build : now addict
Posted by: castlesid
Date: November 05, 2009 03:06PM

Rino,

For your usage I would say long stroke is the way to go, you guys need lots of low down torque, my engine is relatively short stroke, the 4.6 engine or a stroker engine to 4.8 or 5.0 would be a lot better and my cam is also a bit too far up the rev range for your usage.

Don't forget my engine is in a relatively lightweight 2200lb car.

Kevin.

castlesid
Kevin Jackson
Sidcup UK
(361 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: November 05, 2009 03:27PM

Art,

Yes, the problem is we are always trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear (hope that translates) and then there's the cost factor.

The rollercam kit from Lanocha or was it wedge shop, is pretty pricey but is i believe made specifically for the Rover with shrouded rollers to avoid excess oil being thrown all round the engine, on their unit you can only see a small part of the roller, The cam is understandardably expensive as a custom steel unit.

Kevin.

castlesid
Kevin Jackson
Sidcup UK
(361 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: November 05, 2009 03:33PM

Art,

Yes, the problem is we are always trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear (hope that translates) and then there's the cost factor.

The rollercam kit from Lanocha or was it wedge shop, is pretty pricey but is i believe made specifically for the Rover with shrouded rollers to avoid excess oil being thrown all round the engine, on their unit you can only see a small part of the roller, The cam is understandardably expensive as a custom steel unit.

Kevin.

Roverboy
Rino Granito

(12 posts)

10/20/2009 09:16PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Roverboy
Date: November 05, 2009 11:27PM

Well I have been away for a short while, but I must say the quality of the posts is just well amazing!

My deal for the Triumph fell through, the owner decided to keep his car :(, But like I said before, I have 2 engines to rebuild :) , they pay the parts, I throw in the free time.

Now with the Rovers, and since these will be portal axel equipped, calculating the final drive ratio, they should be revving at about 3500 rpm at 57 mph!!! So I can play a bit with my cam options, due to the mechanical advantage that I have.

But yes low rpm torque is a MUST, but I need for these engines to rev a bit and stay in one piece.

So this build will be a bit of a challenge for me, however I will not start the build until I have worked it all out on paper first..

I agree that there is no replacement like displacement, but in this case I feel that a stock 4.6 with a well redone bottom end, some top hats and a worked out valve train to be able to sustain higher revs and, with some nice heads, could be the ticket here, induction wise I will go with a humm edlebrock perfomer and a holley 470 cfm TA, a custom grind on the cam to meet my needs, a nice set of headers.

Now for ignition I am considering a Ford Edis, but have yet to find a good programmable controller.

Since I am not planning on revving anywhere past 6000 rpm, I can consider an HEI.

A question to the group, with the different angles these trucks run at, is there any issues with oiling, that I should consider??

Again many thanks,

./RB

NixVegaGT
Nicolas Wiederhold
Minneapolis, MN
(659 posts)

10/16/2007 05:30AM

Main British Car:
'73 Vega GT 4.9L Rover/Buick Stroker

authors avatar
Posted by: NixVegaGT
Date: November 06, 2009 08:12AM

This is what I built for my EDIS:

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/4432/2881/23578940419_large.jpg

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/4432/2881/23578940356_large.jpg

It's a MegaJolt controller. Tiny box. You build it for like $70. They build it for $140. Here's a link:

[www.autosportlabs.net]

It's got a couple nice features like a switched curve for two settings. It can be used with a TPS or MAP referenced function. Fun to build. I was trying to look for the forum where we discussed this before. I think it was something about crank triggers... Hope that helps.
Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.