Roverboy
Rino Granito

(12 posts)

10/20/2009 09:16PM

Main British Car:

Newbie: Build sheet
Posted by: Roverboy
Date: October 28, 2009 10:52AM

Given the recent activity on stroker threads, I have started to collect and correlate tons of info.

When I did my first build I wrote up a simple sheet with information I thought was pertinent. But I find that I may be lacking a lot of critical information. EG..my cam which is a custom grind, I only have duration lift, the heads where cced but I am lacking the flow rates per lift.

If I may ask, what info do you put in a build sheet? How detailed?

Thanks

./RB

B-Fast B-Strong
William Smith

(144 posts)

10/17/2009 11:28PM

Main British Car:
Bugeye Bodied Spriget

authors avatar
Re: Newbie: Build sheet
Posted by: B-Fast B-Strong
Date: November 01, 2009 08:27PM

I don't know about everybody else but I figure everything out down to the last nut , that would always be the one right behind the steering wheel . Then I know what I an in for, I even figure out how long it will take , but that's just me.
Will

NixVegaGT
Nicolas Wiederhold
Minneapolis, MN
(659 posts)

10/16/2007 05:30AM

Main British Car:
'73 Vega GT 4.9L Rover/Buick Stroker

authors avatar
Re: Newbie: Build sheet
Posted by: NixVegaGT
Date: November 02, 2009 08:33AM

OK, honestly, I've never made a build sheet. My mistake because I've had to go back a couple times and wasted a bit of cash that way. I guess I'm not sure what they are supposed to have but I can say what I'd do now if that helps. I would want to include all the measurements of the major components then list sources for them.

Like:

3.746" bore, Chevy 305 10 over, Hypereutectic, Keith Black, Floating pin .927" dia., Summit $297
Early 2" journal Chevy Z28 "Pink" rods, Ebay $157
Buick 300 crank, 010" Mains, .010" Journals, ABC Auto Recyclers, $90
Dana Main bearings. +.010 Wagamon Bros. Engines $45

That type of thing. The issues that came up that were really hard to foresee were directly related to the cam choice. I'm not really sure how you'd know how to head this off in advance though. One of those is piston/valve interference.

What I did was install the heads and cam after the first of probably 3 assemblies. Then I replaced the springs with weak springs for each of the valves for one cylinder. I cut a rocker shaft bias spring in half and used that. Worked great. Then I ran the engine through revs while periodically checking the distance the valve traveled down before it hit the piston. That was a really interesting exercise because I got to see when the valves interfered. They actually never touched the pistons on the cam profile but the distance to the piston was within like 20 thou. WOW! And it was actually after TDC on the exhaust that was closest. Interesting. I also advanced and retarded the cam to see what the differences were. Just in case.

So what I could plan for was the spring bind and open load and that type of thing for the setup. What I couldn't plan for was the piston/valve interference. Make sense?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.