Shanto
Shant Yaz

(11 posts)

09/30/2019 11:59PM

Main British Car:

what is needed to convert 215 swap to 4.6 rover
Posted by: Shanto
Date: October 16, 2019 04:59PM

long story short, the 300 cranked 215 in my car is broken and i dont know if its worth it to fix it right now.
ill gladly go into detail for anyone interested, but its been a long road to this point so far and ill try to keep it short for the time being.

i have a freshly rebuilt 4.6 rover longblock. the casting on the block reads cr9.35:1 96D03823A
i also have a ls1 engine with all the conversion parts to adapt it to my t10 transmission.

the rover swap would not require any chassis modifications, but will require numerous parts.
the ls1 swap doesnt need parts but would require a good amount of chassis modifications.

so i am weighing my options.

The rover is currently setup for EFI. meaning it has a crank sensor in place, as well as efi front cover with serpentine belt style pulleys.

i would like to know what parts are needed in order to make the change from the 215 to the 4.6?

off the top of my head:

rover 4.6 flywheel
rover 4.6 starter
rover 4.6 pressure plate
chevy 10 spline disc
rover to gm pilot bearing/bushing
front timing cover
crankshaft pulley and accessories
oil pump

the mounting holes for the alternator bracket do seem to be configured differently than the buick as well, so id imagine id need special brackets and pulleys to convert it to v belt drive.

will the 300 intake manifold fit and line up properly?

is the oil pan bolt pattern the same? i currently have a fabricated aluminum pan to clear the crossmember.

will the exhaust manifolds bolt on and line up properly?

the rear crank flange is significantly different than the buick, as well as the external balanced flywheel, so i am assuming that a 4.6 flywheel, clutch pressure plate, starter should work. i currently have the oem aluminum 215 manual bellhousing.

i believe i also read somewhere that i have to change the camshaft to one that can accommodate a distributor drive gear. does this mean i also need to change out the lifters and pushrods. if i change the camshaft i might as well put a more aggressive grind in which would for sure require aftermarket pushrods and valve springs.

with all that being said, how hard is it to convert to EFI. i see range rovers all the time around our local dismantlers, so im sure i could get the oem parts fairly easily. are there any tuning programs that can be used to reflash the stock calibration?

it seems that if i were to run EFI i would be able to bypass quite a few of the parts on my list.

in the meantime i will search around the site to find information on the topic, but would love to hear from you experienced folks if there is anything i missed or any hidden pitfalls along the way.
though my experience has been short i love driving this car and cant wait to get it back on the road.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.