Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Anonymous User

( posts)

12/31/1969 07:00PM

Main British Car:

Trivia Question for Motorheads
Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: October 18, 2007 12:56PM

Background: most people know that before about 1975 most IRON cylinder heads had "soft" valve seats. Once USA decided to remove lead from gasoline (and our air), the auto manufacturers started installing hardened valve seats in IRON cylinder heads. Hardened valve seats stand up better to unleaded gasoline in engines that get a lot of hard-driven mileage.

I've been led to believe that virtually all aluminum cylinder heads ever made... including especially ALL Buick, Olds and Rover "aluminum V8" engines (and also Buick 300) came from the factory with hardened steel valve seats standard.

Is it true?

Anonymous User

( posts)

12/31/1969 07:00PM

Main British Car:

Re: Trivia Question for Motorheads
Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: October 18, 2007 05:13PM

I'm pretty sure that is incorrect. For instance, Triumph motorcycles used cast iron seats pressed into their aluminum heads. In some cases particularly with older engines, valve recession may still be a problem unless the seats are replaced.

Jim

hoffbug
Tony Hoffer
Minnesota
(323 posts)

10/15/2007 05:25PM

Main British Car:
Olds 215 EFI

Posted by: hoffbug
Date: October 19, 2007 08:12PM

I believe that the seats needed to be induction hardened to stand up to unleaded fuel. Even though the early seats may have been cast iron... it doesnt mean that they underwent induction hardening.

motormouth
Kris Palmer
Mpls MN
(63 posts)

10/23/2007 03:13PM

Main British Car:
1972 Triumph TR6, Olds F85 V8, TR8 5-speed 'box Olds 215 V8

Posted by: motormouth
Date: October 28, 2007 09:32PM

I've never heard that and I don't think it's true. The man who rebuilt my engine has done a number of 215s and he pulled and scrapped the stock seats and put in hardened. If I learn more, I'll post it.

Kris Palmer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.