(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
piston supplier
Posted by: Moderator
Date: November 02, 2009 02:58PM

Have you guys ever heard of a piston manufacturer called "Halvlite" or "Halvolite" or "Halvalite"... or something like that? (No, not "Silvolite". Thanks.)

I'm trying to fact-check a How-It-Was-Done article. The car's owner wasn't sure how to spell the name of the piston manufacturer. I've Googled around and not found anything. The pistons were installed in a Coventry Climax race engine with 11:1 compression, so I guess it's a pretty safe bet they're forged.

WedgeWorks1
Mike Perkins
Ellicott City, Maryland
(460 posts)

07/06/2008 08:07AM

Main British Car:
1980 Triumph TR8 3.5 Litre Rover V8

authors avatar
Re: piston supplier
Posted by: WedgeWorks1
Date: November 02, 2009 03:24PM

Are you sure its not Hepolite?

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: November 02, 2009 04:23PM

Yeah, I'm thinking you're probably right. He DEFINITELY didn't say Hepolite, but he's more of a driver than a motorhead. (I'm not really that focused on engine components either.)

Apparently Climax used Hepolite cast-aluminum pistons as standard. I know from my research Cosworth offered forged pistons for Climax engines, but I don't know if Hepolite did or not.

I'll ask the owner to check his notes and receipts.

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Posted by: roverman
Date: November 08, 2009 11:49AM

When I met at Rover Factory in 83', they wer'e using Hepolite, at least in some V8 builds,rally-etc.? I have a theory on 4.0/4.6L. oem. pistons of which I haven't been able to prove, that the oil control of ring package isn't adequate. I suspect the wear rates on these bores are so low, not just because of reduce ring tension vs. earlier designs but also of excess oil left by oil ring that compression rings are getting. One need only look at lack of return oil provision in std. pistons. As a test, I carefully centerdrilled return holes at "bottom" ledge of oil grooves. Then thermal coated tops of pistons for a turbo application. Customers motor held approx. 22lbs. manifold for a "while". Top edge of piston slowly heat eroded away till compression was lost. Customer had rotated exhaust housing around on turbo ,not realizing it would jam wastegate shut. It helps to consider the "variables". Choose"boost" like you would a good cam. Remember who is paying for replacement parts. roverman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.