MECHANIST
Bill LUNBOM

(17 posts)

01/26/2008 03:21PM

Main British Car:

SELECTI NG A TRANSMISSION
Posted by: MECHANIST
Date: January 27, 2008 12:25AM

I'm putting a 215 in a GT6+. I have the Olds 4spd bellhousing. I see that the best possible choice that I could afford is a T5. But what other makes would serve nicely that might be easier to aquire at less cost? I'd like it to be a 5spd, easily adaptable to the aforementioned bell, have the right shifter location, close ratio, and able to handle the torque of a stock 215 V8.

MECHANIST

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: SELECTI NG A TRANSMISSION
Posted by: Moderator
Date: January 27, 2008 02:03AM

I suppose the most obvious choice would be the older Borg-Warner "T50" (aka "T-50") 5-speed from a Chevy Monza V8 (or other H-body). Several "British V8 guys" have used it this transmission with pretty good success, including Jeff Howell and Jim Blackwood whose cars appear in the photo gallery on this website.

Obviously, you don't see a Monza every day anymore... but if you were able to track down an Olds 4-speed bellhousing, you shouldn't have a hard time finding a suitable T50. They tend to be dirt cheap, and they're comparitively skinny and lightweight! Watch out though... you probably don't want the version that was used with a six-cylinder engine. The Monza V8 version will have much better (closer) two-thru-five gear ratios, although I've read that first gear is REALLY low. The other weird idiosyncracy of all T50 transmissions is the shift pattern. Gears two-thru-five are in a nice neat "H", but first and reverse are both to the left and (get this!) reverse is above first. There are detents to prevent you from shfting into reverse accidentally... make sure they aren't broken!

MECHANIST
Bill LUNBOM

(17 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: January 27, 2008 12:51PM

I aquired that engine with the bellhousing about 10 yrs ago and had no idea that the bell was a rare bear. In fact I didn't know until I started this GT6 project very recently that the engine has so much going for it. I'm really excited about this project now.

NixVegaGT
Nicolas Wiederhold
Minneapolis, MN
(659 posts)

10/16/2007 05:30AM

Main British Car:
'73 Vega GT 4.9L Rover/Buick Stroker

authors avatar
Posted by: NixVegaGT
Date: January 29, 2008 11:23AM

The H-bodies are getting more and more hard to find. The T50's aren't too common but they're out there and like Curtis says they are pretty cheap because they aren't so desirable by the H-community because of the low torque threshold. I think it would work great with the stock 215 though. The non-WC T5's like you were saying are really pretty cheap too and fine for the stock 215 torque. The 4-speed bellhousing shares a common bolt pattern with the T10 and Saginaw too. Here's a link to some info on my build site. I hope it's helpful:

[www.cardomain.com]

At the bottom I've got a pic of the T5 bolted on to my Olds 4sp bell. Good luck bro.

NixVegaGT
Nicolas Wiederhold
Minneapolis, MN
(659 posts)

10/16/2007 05:30AM

Main British Car:
'73 Vega GT 4.9L Rover/Buick Stroker

authors avatar
Posted by: NixVegaGT
Date: January 29, 2008 11:27AM

Here's another option from another post:

May be overkill.. Toyota Supra Turbo R154 mated to a Buick 215 bellhousing via a Jeep AX15 adapter from Novak in Utah.

[www.jeeps-offroad.com]

Greg

MECHANIST
Bill LUNBOM

(17 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: January 29, 2008 04:40PM

Thanx Nic. There's a wealth of good info in that page. And I need all the help and advice I can get.

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
Forest Lake, Minnesota, USA
(383 posts)

10/30/2007 02:27AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB '95 3.4L 'L32' SFI V6, GM V6T5 & 3.42 Limi

authors avatar
Posted by: BMC
Date: February 04, 2008 06:13PM

T4 from about a 1982 S10 would be a cheap 4 speed and just a hair easier to fit than the T5. You can always upgrade to teh T5 later.

BTW: I fit a 3.4L with a T4 and then a T5 to a Spitfire, so it should all be about the same. The S10 tailhousing looked like it would work better than the Camaro tailhousing which is opposite form most conversions like the MGB.

-BMC.

MECHANIST
Bill LUNBOM

(17 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: February 04, 2008 11:31PM

Brian,
That is something to consider. I have determined that the tailshaft housing with the shifter mounted about midway on the housing on a T5 would put it spot on. That is, if it measures real close to 16" from the front face of the trans main case. I may also opt for a nwc instead of a wc if I find a good deal on one. One question I have not found an answer for is if the nwc and wc cases are interchangable.
Bill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.