(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Buick 215 for sale:
Posted by: V6 Midget
Date: March 20, 2008 04:11PM

Found this item on the KC craigslist. No connection with the seller.
[kansascity.craigslist.org]

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Buick 215 for sale:
Posted by: Moderator
Date: March 20, 2008 09:11PM

Looks very promising! Reader, if you're interested in this one, double check the heads because the valve covers look like Olds covers to my eye. It's possible someone is selling an Olds 215, incorrectly described, and depending on which heads are included, that might be good or bad news. The intake manifold is Buick for sure. What compression ratio pistons are included? Which cam? Which bellhousing?

Craig's List rocks! Last weekend I bought a Rover 4.0 for $100. I'm not quite sure yet if what I bought will help me much. Someone ran this engine without oil and spun two rod bearings plus they melted two mains. I need to take the block and crank to a machine shop and get their opinion. The liners and heads look good. Even if the block and crank are scrapmetal, I'll be in the black as soon as I sell the Range Rover headers that were included with it!

spridget
bill green
Maine
(68 posts)

03/22/2008 01:29PM

Main British Car:
3 1980 TR8, 1 TR7 2 Bugeye Sprite 1 MG midget TR8 3.5 and 5.0, Sprite 1098 and ?

Posted by: spridget
Date: March 22, 2008 01:36PM

If someone needs a Rover 4.0 Crankshaft I have 2 and 2 sets of used heads and 16 rods with pistons plus other Misc parts. Cheeeeeep!

NixVegaGT
Nicolas Wiederhold
Minneapolis, MN
(659 posts)

10/16/2007 05:30AM

Main British Car:
'73 Vega GT 4.9L Rover/Buick Stroker

authors avatar
Posted by: NixVegaGT
Date: March 25, 2008 10:29PM

Curtis, Sweet deal on the engine!. I can promise you it's going to need to be sleeved if you keep it. It will be cracked behind the cylinders after being heat cycled like that. Mine was the same way. Lucky for me the mains were fine. The two mains that were melted may be ok after line boring.

The best price on liners is from Westwood in the UK. Shipped it cost me $600. The machining was another $600. LOL! Just something to consider. Pretty pricey. On the up shot I had the liners decked above the block a couple thou for better sealing and with the flanged liners I could bore out to 3.74" and totally fix the cracking behind the liners. The question is: Is it worth $1200? It was to me when factored into the whole build I've got piece of mind but that's a lot of $$ for the block.

There is no doubt, those are Olds valve covers BTW.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.