bsa_m21
Martin Rothman
Vancouver, Canada
(216 posts)

01/06/2009 11:41AM

Main British Car:
1980 TR7V8 Rover 3.9L

authors avatar
Rover Buick Hybrid - V-Belt Pulley Choices?
Posted by: bsa_m21
Date: April 22, 2009 07:39PM

Hi all,

I'm nearing the end of my 1989 RR3.9L rebuild for my TR7V8 project. As part of the work, I've changed the timing cover to a Buick V6 cover with a matching Buick water pump. This is almost the same setup as the TR8 3.5L, except for some minor casting differences. The water pump is also slightly different as it has the Buick 4 bolt mount pressed on the shaft to mount the pulley. The TR8/Rover version has a larger mount that uses 3 holes for mounting the pulley.

I made a bracket to mount the old Rover pump v-belt pulley to the new mount, but with the changed pump location on the Buick cover, it almost hits the crankshaft pulley (maybe 1/4" clearance). I want to run A/C and with the stock pulley's lack of clearance, I'd have to take off the water pump pulley to change the belt if something happened. Doesn't thrill me...

So, I am looking for some V-belt pulley's to work with the Rover harmonic balance and the Buick water pump. I'd prefer to find some smaller crankshaft and waterpump pulley's that would fit, if anyone knows what to look for. All the Chevy & Ford ones I've found are too big or too difficult to line up.

I'm sure other's must have faced similar problems and sorted it out.
Any suggestions as to what might fit?

Thanks in advance.
Martin

StagByTriumph
Glenn Merrell
Colorado
(37 posts)

10/25/2007 12:11PM

Main British Car:
1973 Stag Rover SD1 3.5 w/ 3.9 EFI

authors avatar
Re: Rover Buick Hybrid - V-Belt Pulley Choices?
Posted by: StagByTriumph
Date: April 22, 2009 10:11PM

Hi Martin,
Here are the photos I told you about on my Stag setup, but these are low resolution. Not the new pulley setup I have now, but gives you an ides of how things are setup.

onengrtlo01.jpg

onengrtlo02.jpg

Note the inside belt drives the PS and AC, the Outer belt drives the water pump and alternator.
Mark's pulley does not fit on this style water pump
2pumps lo.jpg
You need a short nose pump with the small (2.5"?) 4 hole pulley mount.

Hope his helps.

Glenn

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.