pcmenten
Paul Menten

(242 posts)

10/08/2009 10:40AM

Main British Car:

Cleaning aluminum blocks
Posted by: pcmenten
Date: December 14, 2009 12:06AM

Sorry for the rather basic question. I did some searching and didn't come up with anything right away. I got my Olds 215 block stripped down and now I need to clean it. I was going to go with Castrol Super Clean, a caustic, diluted a bit. I think it contains sodium hydroxide as its 'active' ingredient. I may add some detergent, too. Since I have my brother's pressure washer sitting around, I'll probably hit the block with that first.

What's the standard practice for cleaning aluminum blocks and heads?

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Re: Cleaning aluminum blocks
Posted by: roverman
Date: December 14, 2009 10:31AM

Paul, Your going to replace the cam bearings -Right? If so, I suggest removing ALL press and thread-in plugs. Many shops can "tank" the block. Ask specifically if for alum. Look at a "recent" alum. from them. Many of these processes will destroy cam bearings. Definately No lye solution! Nitric Acid, diluted, is a good brightener. Good Luck, roverman.

Roverboy
Rino Granito

(12 posts)

10/20/2009 09:16PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Roverboy
Date: December 17, 2009 10:07PM

I did mine old skol.. its alu, so detergent it was and good pressure washer. Once finished coat the liners well with oil and recoat as needed, button it up.

Pay attention to water galley, surprised at the grime that was accumulated

pcmenten
Paul Menten

(242 posts)

10/08/2009 10:40AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: pcmenten
Date: December 18, 2009 01:42AM

Art, I'm going to avoid removing the cam bearings unless I find one that's got too much clearance.

Rino, I've found that Ford y-blocks and Studebaker V8's have horrible debris problems in the water jackets. I'll take your advice to heart and be sure to blast out the jackets as best I can.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.