Rino Granito

(12 posts)

10/20/2009 09:16PM

Main British Car:

strange vacuum reading
Posted by: Roverboy
Date: December 17, 2009 10:38PM

Hi,

Being old skol, I rely heavely on a vacuum gauge for my diagnostic and post build analysis. However I came upon a strange reading after one of my mild 4.0 rebuilds.

Everything looks good except that when I blip the engine, I expect to see the gauge run towards zero, then back up to bout 25 when I release and back to 20 or so (steady). However, with this one, when I blip , it will just go down to about 15, then back to zero (while holding rev) and then to 25 after the release and a steady 20 at idle.

The build is a rather standard;

rebored and sleeved to spec a 4.0, crank polished, main cap to 2thou as per specs, rings hand lapped, stock rods/piston, block decked at 3 thou and heads planed with composite head gasket, heads cleaned and polished new stock valves, springs etc etc.. Custom grind on cam ( low rpm torque), HEI, edelbrock, Holley 470 CFM, hedders coated and wrapped.

Onboard diagnostics;

wideband, water temp, oil pressure, vacuum, EGT (single side) , tack (all autometer sport comp)

The only thing that I think could explain this is that I have too much back pressure..

Please chime in

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2009 10:39PM by Roverboy.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6469 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: strange vacuum reading
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: December 18, 2009 08:53AM

Sounds like you have a bog. I'd check the carb for correct accel shot and tip-in.

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.