(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Bad gas?
Posted by: Moderator
Date: June 24, 2012 04:23PM

I drove my MGB GT V8 from Colorado to Lincoln Nebraska this week. It was running GREAT - until shortly after I pulled into the Sinclair gas station by the Lincoln airport and gassed-up on their "Premium". Within fifteen or twenty miles of that, the car's off-throttle/idle performance totally went to hell. The car still seemed to start easy and run fine at any other engine speed, so I figured the problem would go away after a tankful or two of better fuel. Well... ~600 miles later I'm starting to get concerned.

Nebraska is a field corn producing state. I don't know how much ethanol was in Sinclair's premium gas, but by guess is that it was more than the usual ten percent. One clue - I didn't notice this until after I'd filled-up - both Plus and Premium were priced below Regular at that station. Watching more carefully after that, I found that Plus is cheaper than Regular at lots of Nebraska gas stations and it's usually labeled as ethanol enriched - but Premium is usually premium-priced. That Sinclair station apparently isn't typical of the overall market.

I thought maybe they had a lot of water in their fuel... so in despair I tried one bottle of "Heet" fuel dryer with the next fill-up. That product contains methyl alcohol, so it should have soaked up any remaining water droplets. It didn't seem to affect performance one way or the other, and anyhow I'm a couple tankfuls of gas past that now.

When I got back home to Colorado, I (#1) pumped the fuel tank dry, (#2) drained the fuel line, (#3) emptied the float bowls of old fuel - incidentally, there was no sign of water droplets or debris - (#4) temporarily removed the idle air screws, (#5) sprayed carb cleaner through every oriface and jet I could see to spray, (#6) verified that my jetting was 100% normal for Colorado, and (#7) put fresh gas from my usual hometown gas station in the car, and... no improvement at all!

The engine runs great at any speed and any amount of load... except idle. At idle speed, the RPM bounces around. I have an AEM air/fuel ratio gauge and it reads WAY TOO LEAN at idle speed. With just the slightest touch of the throttle pedal I can make the air/fuel ratio drop from above 17:1 to 12.x:1 or thereabouts.

I'm about ready to smash my Edelbrock carburetor with a sledgehammer and get to work on installing electronic fuel injection... but before I do that can someone please tell me what I'm missing here?

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Bad gas?
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: June 24, 2012 09:24PM

Almost sounds like a vacuum leak?

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: June 24, 2012 10:57PM

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Another thought is maybe you have some trash that got into the idle circuit blocking fuel flow?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2012 11:01PM by rficalora.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: June 25, 2012 09:29AM

The Nebraska fuel would have contained ethanol so any water would have been absorbed even without the Heet. Ethanol tends to damage rubber parts so all of the carb gaskets, diaphraghms, seals and o-rings are suspect. Might want to throw a kit at it before going any further.

Jim

And where the heck is Fred?

mgbreis
Ryan Reis
Beatrice, NE
(203 posts)

07/16/2008 11:07AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: mgbreis
Date: June 25, 2012 10:18AM

Any chance you might have put E-85 in it? The only reason I ask is that it would extremely out of the norm for premium to be cheaper than the lesser grades in this area.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: June 25, 2012 10:33AM

Also the pump and regulator could have been damaged as well.

Jim

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: June 25, 2012 12:58PM

Pretty sure the Sinclair pump wasn't labeled E85... but maybe it was mislabeled.

My fuel pump seems okay at every other load level. I don't have a separate regulator.

This morning I started the engine and then sprayed ether starting fluid all around the carburetor and the vacuum advance hose to the distributor... but engine RPM didn't increase as I'd expect it to if there were a vacuum leak. I'll put a vacuum gauge on it when I have another moment.

The oxygen sensor is on my righthand exhaust, but as soon as time permits I'll move it to the lefthand side bung and see if it reads the same. The super-lean A/F gauge reading worries me more than the rough idle.

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2464 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Posted by: mgb260
Date: June 25, 2012 01:53PM

Curtis, Try spraying carb cleaner in the mixture screw holes. Idle circuit may be plugged as Rob said.

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

10/23/2007 09:43PM

Main British Car:
1970 MGBGT V6, 7004R, AC, matching trailer 3.1 liter

Posted by: Citron
Date: June 25, 2012 05:24PM

Curtis,
warm the engine up. take the air cleaner off. rev the engine up to about 2500- 3000 then put your hand ove the top of the carb to close off all the air flow and let the carb lenkage drop to the idle possition.
this will put lots of vaccume on the idle circ and may clear it out.

Steve

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: June 25, 2012 08:38PM

Removing the mixture screws and shooting carb cleaner down their holes might work better if I could get my finger down the venturi to block the exit hole there... but without that blocked off, the carb cleaner just sprays into the venturi. Everything seems so clean.

Steve's method is fun... but in this case it didn't seem to help. I tried it eight or ten times at least.

When I look down into the carb barrels at idle, I see a lot of fuel sputtering out of the driver side venturi booster but hardly any out of the passenger side one. I've had this trouble before in hot weather with ethanol enriched fuel and the problem was solved then by adjusting float level. So, I took the top off the carb and checked that. Can't remember what I set them at last time - ten years ago? - but they matched (about 5/16" from the cover when inverted), so I lowered both floats 1/16" to see if that would reduce the sputtering. No detectable change. Should I try going even lower? Could it be that I have too much fuel pressure? I think a carb rebuild kit is in my future and I resent it because I've been saving pennies toward EFI.

p.s. 100F here today, and the radio says we'll have the same for five days in a row.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2012 08:40PM by Moderator.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: June 25, 2012 09:48PM

Curtis, floats on the Edelbrock.should.be 7/16 when inverted.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: June 26, 2012 04:03PM

I rebuilt the carb today with Edelbrock kit p/n 1477 (~$50 locally.)

I didn't find anything conspicuously wrong inside the carb. The float level measurement I mentioned in an earlier post wasn't really off; my measurement method was just different than Edelbrock's. The droop measurement was off by quite a bit (maybe 1.25" vs. prescribed 15/16"), but I don't expect that should effect idle.

Everything now seems to be back to normal. (The engine idles at 800rpm with a/f ratio around 12.3:1.)

crashbash
david bash
st. charles
(215 posts)

01/28/2008 10:53AM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Rdst V8 project, 1968 MGC GT, 1969 MGB Rd olds 215

Posted by: crashbash
Date: June 26, 2012 05:30PM

Had to have been something in the idle circuit that you finally flushed and just didn't see it. I'm sticking with carb on my build.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.