(698 posts)

07/20/2009 06:40PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB-GT 1979 Ford 302

authors avatar
Short Nosed Water Pump
Posted by: pspeaks
Date: July 24, 2012 09:59AM

During the planning of my “radiator and electric fan installation” I’ve become painfully aware that I should have bought a short nose water pump, but I didn’t and now think I’m going to have to revisit that ill thought out decision; which brings me to my question. What do I do about a water pump pulley that will line up with the crank pulley? Is there a reasonably priced supplier of Ford pulleys out there?

mgbv81970
Scott Wooley
Frederick Colorado
(23 posts)

09/07/2011 02:20PM

Main British Car:
1970 MGB 289 Ford V8

authors avatar
Re: Short Nosed Water Pump
Posted by: mgbv81970
Date: July 24, 2012 03:12PM

Paul, I don't know any specifics about your project but I know others have had good success with using the 98-2001 Ford Explorer / Mercury Mountaineer V8 pulley/water pump setup. It's compact and the whole setup is readily available in junk yards. In fact, I own a '96 Explorer V8 I'm going to be putting on Craiglist soon to help pay for my exhaust system on the MG! I'm going to ask $800 for it, if you're interested...(drive it home, it runs great)
I originally purchased the short water pump from Ford Motorsports and mocked up my radiator based on the location of where that water pump sat. THEN I tried to find a pulley to match my others...HA!! I probably looked under the hood of every car I could in many junk yards and came up empty handed. In frustration I had a pulley made for me by combining the "inside" and the "outside" of two different pulleys to get the right diameter and offset. That seemed like it might work out ok for me, but then at some point I actually LOST the pulley lol, and was back to square one again. So then I got out my drill and cutoff wheel and cut the area immediately behind the radiator even further forward to make room for standard pulleys and water pump. (In my case for a 1965 289, single groove pulleys, no AC etc.) My engine is also set WAY back in the engine bay and required extensive mods to make it all happen, so I can't recommend my install for anyone but a complete masochist given the amount of information that now exsists on installing the Ford small block into the MGB, BUT there truely is more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak.
There is one lesson I've learned the hard way over the years of working on my car: If you drink enough beer and stare at it long enough, there is a solution to every problem.

Scott

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Short Nosed Water Pump
Posted by: rficalora
Date: July 24, 2012 10:04PM

Paul, what a bummer. I have a complete set of brackets & pulleys from a 5.0L T-bird which uses same short nose pump as the explorers. - at least that's what I recall from when I bought the stuff. I could have brought it up here with me this week. Do some research and if you want it, let me know. I think I paid $75, but if you want it I'll sell it all for $50.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.