Randell Bradburn

(1 posts)

08/07/2012 07:02PM

Main British Car:

rover cylinder heads
Posted by: r2brad53
Date: August 07, 2012 07:08PM

Greetings Ya'll !!
I am new to this forum and like all newbies ... I am searching for information! I am VERY slowly building a 62buick 215 to put into My 80 spitfire. I have been searching for a set of rover cylinder heads for My engine. I have been told that 14 bolt 77-88 rover heads are not only higher compression but also a bit larger valves than the stock heads and will be a good add on for My engine.
The problem however is finding a REASONABLY priced set of used rover heads.
Does anyone happen to know of a set laying around gathering dust or perhaps know of a business that might have a set of those elusive heads at a REASONABLE price?
If you do ... I would enjoy hearing back from you!
Thank you in advance for any help/information!
Randy Bradburn

80 spitfire
74 850 norton
72 Dunstall Norton
71 triumph bonnieville

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Re: rover cylinder heads
Posted by: roverman
Date: August 07, 2012 09:53PM

Randy, Welcome to the forum. Perhaps this depends on what you consider "reasonable" ? The heads you describe, show up on ebay and craigslist, quite often. I would not expect to find a good pair fo $50., but "maybe" $200 ? The deals are out there, you just have to dig them up. Good Luck, roverman.

minorv8
Jukka Harkola

(269 posts)

04/08/2009 06:50AM

Main British Car:
Morris Minor Rover V8

Re: rover cylinder heads
Posted by: minorv8
Date: August 08, 2012 12:53AM

I am not so sure about the combustion chamber size in those heads, all heads up to 1994 are supposed to have a nominal 36 cc chamber. Rover introduced the 4,0/4,6 litre engines in circa 1995 and these heads have 28 cc chamber (although the actual figure may be even 30 cc given the factory tolerances). These heads also have only 10 bolts, deleting the outer 4 bolts. The casting are about these same, with slightly larger and better ports. Rover changed the tin head gaskets to thicker composite ones and skimmed the head to compensate.

I used 4,6 heads with tin gasket to raise the CR even further, on 94 mm bore the increase was about 0,8:1. With your 89 mm or 3,5" if you prefer the increase is a touch smaller.

These heads were fitted to all Land Rovers and Range Rovers from 1995 on.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.