Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

tbush
Tim Bush
Minnesota, USA
(32 posts)

11/16/2009 07:29PM

Main British Car:
'74 Spitfire, '59 Frogeye (sold) GM Vin T 3.1Lgoing in it.

authors avatar
Differential thrust washers??
Posted by: tbush
Date: December 29, 2009 01:04PM

Hi all. I am working on the differential for my Spit. There was substantial backlash between the axels. Once I opened it up I found the gears were in remarkably good condition. The backlash is from the thrust washers that go behind the axel gears. They are not there at all. I did find some remenants of them in the oil. It looks like the original ones were a Micarta or phenolic piece about .035" thick.
Is there a better replacement for these available? I can fashion some from brass or stainless shim stock if I need to. If I go with metal ones should I make oil grooves in the gear thrust surface? I appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
-Tim

v8ian
ian stewart
just north of London, United Kingdom, Planet Earth
(54 posts)

12/24/2009 04:06PM

Main British Car:
67 Ford Cortina 3.9ltr Rover

authors avatar
Re: Differential thrust washers??
Posted by: v8ian
Date: December 30, 2009 11:17AM

UK source would probably be Rimmer Bros, they have a Huge stock of old BL parts, they may have NOS parts in stock,
[www.rimmerbros.co.uk]

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: Differential thrust washers??
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: December 30, 2009 11:40AM

Tim, I'd go with the original type washers or at least what you get from sources like Moss or VB, that way you don't need to worry about and oiling problems. The hold up pretty well and as you know aren't that difficult to change if you have to in a few years. Don't forget that clearance in that area also depends on the condition of the thrust washers behind the axle gears as well. I think if you replace the four washers your diff will be fine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.