Alexandria, VA
(299 posts)

09/11/2009 08:55PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Small Block Ford, 331 Stroker

All steamed up SBF 302?!?!?!?!
Posted by: MGB-FV8
Date: January 05, 2013 07:50PM

In case you have a problem with a freshly rebuilt Ford 302 running hot, here's a link to a helpful tip; read the last paragraph titled "All steamed up". There's also some important issues concerning certain components. I hope that you find it helpful......

[www.mustangandfords.com]

Cheers

mtnrek@yahoo.com
Chris Buckaloo
Jacksonville, fl
(67 posts)

02/06/2009 12:33PM

Main British Car:
1962 Austin Healey 3000 BT7 Ford 289 Smallblock V8

authors avatar
Re: All steamed up SBF 302?!?!?!?!
Posted by: mtnrek@yahoo.com
Date: January 07, 2013 08:43AM

Great article!

MGB-FV8
Jacques Mathieu
Alexandria, VA
(299 posts)

09/11/2009 08:55PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Small Block Ford, 331 Stroker

Re: All steamed up SBF 302?!?!?!?!
Posted by: MGB-FV8
Date: January 07, 2013 01:40PM

Unless Rob has resolved his engine temperature creep up, I think that this article may be something to check. I once made that mistake while doing a rebuilt on a 1979, F-250 with a 400 M (Cleveland family); I had done everything right except for the steam pocket holes mentioned in the article. The gasket brand that I've used did not give any hints on the proper placement of the head gaskets. The truck would sit in traffic and slowly overheated and finally it cracked the left head, which in a way was a sweet defeat because it brought the problem to an end.

I've got a used head and got it rebuilt at the machine shop; while speaking with the machinist, he stated that he knew exactly what had happened and sold me a sets of new head gasket that clearly pointed to the right position to be installed. Problem solved.

Since I had overhauled many other engines before, it was a humbling experience and a well learned lesson (job done here too.)

Words of wisdom to anyone, no matter how good you may be (or think), is pay attention to the applicable O.E. service manual and talk to friends that did it before; something like the connoisseurs on this forum :)

Cheers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.