tdecell
Trey Decell
MS
(31 posts)

04/10/2010 12:13AM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB GT 3.9L Rover

authors avatar
Ford 4.0 V6, not that I'm ready, but maybe after the V8 is finished...
Posted by: tdecell
Date: January 18, 2013 09:59PM

We just replaced a 4.0L V6 engine in a Ranger yesterday and I got to looking at the engine. Just might be a good swap candidate for an MGB. It has a filter adapter on the pass side that can be rotated, the intake ports are right up top going straight down so it would be fairly easy to construct an intake if you are so inclined or mechanically able. (as I'm not...) There is a provision for a dizzy between the heads at the rear of the block if you wanted to get away from the factory setup. The size specs... 20" wide at the widest point (top of heads),
13" wide at top of block, 26 1/2" tall from bottom of oil pan to top of valve covers, 24" long from front of water pump flange to rear of block. I may look into it after I get the V8 in the GT....if I want another project. It has pretty good HP numbers but maybe not good enough to get away from the more common GM V6 swap.
On another note, there is a kit to install a supercharger (from a 3.8 Thunderbird Super Coupe) to this engine...
The factory upper intake is only 5 1/2" tall (measured from the top of the valve cover)

photo(6).JPG
photo(5).JPG
photo(7).JPG
photo(8).JPG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2013 10:02PM by tdecell.

BWA

(344 posts)

04/13/2010 08:13PM

Main British Car:

Re: Ford 4.0 V6, not that I'm ready, but maybe after the V8 is finished...
Posted by: BWA
Date: January 19, 2013 04:35PM

Ford V6 engines are pretty decent engines but they are quite tall. I was planning on putting a 3.8 in my TR6 but I found that from the bottom of the oil pan to the highest point on the intake that it measured 28.5" which would have been too tall. I went with a GM 3400 which is 4 inches lower.
There is a reasonable amount of performance stuff available for these Ford V6 engines to make them perform. I have pasted a link to a guy that is an expert on hopping up these engines. He lives in Ontario Canada.

[www.moranav6racing.com]

Cheers
Byron

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.