Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

How not to loose your parts
Posted by: roverman
Date: February 05, 2013 07:34PM

I've been using a local engine machine shop, because they are good value, for the quality level. That being said, they have organizational problems,(parts/gaskets, everywhere). I have now learned, (have them sign a completed list of "all" the parts they received) ! I dropped-off the 4L race block, to have rough bored/no hone, so I can do a crank, rod, piston, head and valve clearance check. We measured said piston, while I was there, and discussed if it needed to stay there, to double check fit. Weeks pass and I threaten to remove said block, done or not. Big supprise, it get's done shortly thereafter. I go to pick-up and somehow let the owner convince me, "I" have the piston, since "we" measured it, and didn't really need it for rough boring.Realizing my age facter, maybe I "do" have it ? I finally give-up on finding it, and plan to order (8) new custom racing piston$$. $700-800. likely. I get a call today, from u-no-who, and they "found" my $800 piston. Long story, but maybe others can avoid my grief. Onward, roverman.

HealeyRick
Rick Neville

(490 posts)

12/19/2007 05:01PM

Main British Car:
1963 Austin-Healey 3000 Ford 5.0L

authors avatar
Re: How not to loose your parts
Posted by: HealeyRick
Date: February 10, 2013 10:01AM

Another idea would be to shoot pictures of everything you deliver and have the shop sign off on the pictures. Probably a good idea when delivering parts to the chrome shop, too. I received some chrome pieces back from a plater for my bugeye that included a rather large headlight rim labelled "CARELLO", which I was pretty sure wasn't in the batch of stuff I sent to be plated. Few days later I got a call from a high end restorer looking for the rim that went on a 1 of 10 Maserati.

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Posted by: roverman
Date: February 10, 2013 11:28AM

Good idea too. How much did you get for the Carello ? Do they make rods ?/lol. roverman.

HealeyRick
Rick Neville

(490 posts)

12/19/2007 05:01PM

Main British Car:
1963 Austin-Healey 3000 Ford 5.0L

authors avatar
Posted by: HealeyRick
Date: February 10, 2013 11:39AM

I got my Lucas headlight rims back from the other guy. I should have held him up for ransom. Rest of the story was I learned later he was a well known sleaze in the high end resto business with lawsuits following him around like seagulls on a chum line. Don't think you'd want any of those Carello rods, stick with that other SoCal brand.

mtnrek@yahoo.com
Chris Buckaloo
Jacksonville, fl
(67 posts)

02/06/2009 12:33PM

Main British Car:
1962 Austin Healey 3000 BT7 Ford 289 Smallblock V8

authors avatar
Posted by: mtnrek@yahoo.com
Date: February 12, 2013 02:00PM

had a similar issue when i took my motor in to be ran through. I picked up the motor and realised something was missing, but couldnt figure out what... When i started putting it all back together, i realized the CAM hadn't been put back... Come to find out... "oh, it was right here all along"

DEEEERRRRRR!!!!!

Check lists are FTW!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.