Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

rkas3882
randy kassed

(84 posts)

05/30/2010 09:14AM

Main British Car:
1973 mgb gt rover 3.5

best Rover oil pump, crank driven or cam?
Posted by: rkas3882
Date: December 31, 2013 12:39PM

Hey guys, was wondering which was the best oil pump? I know it would take some work to make the serpentine front cover work in the mgb but I dont know if anyone has any experience with one being better than the other? I read that the cam driven ones like to wear out the cam gears.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2013 01:05PM by Moderator.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: best oil pump, crank driven or cam?
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: December 31, 2013 01:08PM

Randy, the cam gear problem is a direct result of using a high volume oil pump with the 1/4" longer pump gears (rotors). This was an early band-aid fix which was subsequently found to be completely unnecessary and inadvisable, provided the engine is built correctly with tight clearances and the recommended oiling mods are performed. In short, the pickup galley is enlarged to 5/8", a booster plate and stiffer relief valve spring are used, the pump body ports, booster plate, and all corners are ported and radiused, the pump is set to the bare minimum of end clearance that will let it turn without too much scraping, the TA double groove front cam bearing is used, and rod and main clearances are held to .001". Use a piloted bit to enlarge the oil galley to prevent breakout. Provided these things are done oil pressure will never be a problem, and should be done regardless of the oil pump type used. The crank driven pump raises clearance issues with the steering rack and crossmember. The cam driven pump has numerous lower housings for different filter positions. These considerations are really more important. However if you want to get exotic, Art still has roller cam blanks for the crank driven style engine.

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.