(43 posts)

01/27/2008 08:14PM

Main British Car:
1965 Butler Racing AC Cobra replica 350 SBC

authors avatar
Holley Commander 950 Fuel Injection
Posted by: accobraman50
Date: January 29, 2008 11:32PM

Has anyone installed the Holley 950 Throttle body injection system or similar system?

The instructions state that installing the ECU module in the glove box is a good location to keep the ECU away from dirt & moisture. Unfortunately I do not have a glove box and I just do not have room behind or under the dashboard.

I have tons of space under the hood and would like to install it there. It will almost never be exposed to moisture or dirt, in the location I have planned. But what about heat? I can duct it to outside air and install a small instrument fan if I have to.

All advice and comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Arthur

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2008 11:40AM by accobraman50.

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

10/23/2007 09:43PM

Main British Car:
1970 MGBGT V6, 7004R, AC, matching trailer 3.1 liter

Re: Holley Commander 950 Fuel Injection
Posted by: Citron
Date: January 30, 2008 01:43PM

I installed the Holley throttle body system on a Jag and one on a Nova. I put the ECU under the seat in both. They worked great for about 6 years. Then gave some trouble and I got no help from Holley. Both cars are now on Carbs, not Holley.

Steve

scot abbott
scot abbott

(26 posts)

01/30/2008 06:03PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: scot abbott
Date: January 30, 2008 06:16PM

I put megasquirts in 2 different cars, both having the ECU in the passenger compartment. The ecu for the MGB went into the glovebox; the ecu for the Spit6 went to the right side of the passengerside kick panel. Most suppliers of these kind of devices strongle recommend locating them in a dry place inside the passenger compartment to avoid exposing the unit to higher temperature s and thermal cycling.
These installations are discussed in detail at
[www.mgexperience.net] . The total cost of these systems including all components to make it run was less than $500 USD per car .

accobraman50
Arthur Mitchell
Chicago
(43 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: January 31, 2008 12:19AM

Thanks Citron & Scot for your responses.

I spent about four hours today unwrapping the Holley wiring harness and reconfiguring the lengths of the pigtails to fit properly in my engine bay. More to do tomorrow.

I understand that heat, moisture and dirt can have negative effects on the ECU, but it is just makes logistical sense in my case, (AC Cobra) to install the ECU in the engine bay. I will build a custom aluminum box to shroud the ECU and seal it from moisture/water/dirt, I will also install a 12v instrument fan with a filtered air supply from outside the engine bay to constantly cool the ECU. I will also have to figure out how to keep the instrument fan running for about 30 minutes after engine shutdown. This should keep high temperature and thermal cycling to a minimum. If I'm unable to figure/find components to make the 30 minute timer, I will just use a switch and remember to turn it off so I don't get a flat battery.

Regards,

Arthur

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: January 31, 2008 04:44PM

Arthur, you might check the Cobra boards as I'm sure lots of others have had to deal with the same question. If you do go with the custom box in the engine bay it shouldn't be too hard to wire a delay... consider the sort of thermostic switch used to keep the cooling fan running after shut off... you coule probably easily adapt one of those to your purpose.

accobraman50
Arthur Mitchell
Chicago
(43 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: January 31, 2008 11:05PM

Thanks Rob.

I have posted on the Club Cobra Forun but no response as of yet.

I need to find a 12 volt relay that has an off delay on the secondary circuit. Whern the primary (ignition) power is turned off (open), the secondary circuit running the fan will remain closed (on) for about 30 minutes then reset. Have been searching the web today for a few minutes but haven't found the ideal unit.

Regards,

Arthur

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6469 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: February 02, 2008 06:34PM

Arthur, there are industrial timer delay relays available that would do what you want. Potter Brumfield is one of the most common brands, should be carried by Graingers. Look for one with a 12v coil. They can be bulky, so plan for some extra room in your enclosure.

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.