John Montgomery

(22 posts)

01/11/2010 01:29PM

Main British Car:
1978 MGB Roadster 3.5L British Leyland V8

Crankcase Ventilation
Posted by: Johnous
Date: January 13, 2010 12:53PM

Hello all, I have read the excellent article on crankcase basics written by Jim Blackwood, but I still have a few questions about my particular setup. Since I built my engine Johnny Cash style (one piece at a time), I am uncertain about how to route my crankcase fumes into the intake.

On the back of my TR8 block there is a small right angle fitting coming out of the crankcase right below the valley pan (See first picture). Is this fitting used for oiling, or may I connect it via a PCV Valve and spark arrestor to my intake plenum? (See second photo) Will this fitting be too small to obtain the right pressure in the crankcase?

Secondly, if this is not possible, should I consider routing via a right angle piece the crankcase fumes before the throttle body, as rover did originally? I cannot see why it would be better to route the fumes into the Idle Control Valve and throttle body rather than into the plenum base. For now I have fitted my crankcase vent in this front position (where I assume cooler, cleaner air will be) and capped off the original Rover crankcase fume pipe (See third Photo).

Thanks in advance for helping me with this elementary problem.
MysteryPipe.jpg
Is this for oiling, or may I use it for ventilation?
MysteryPipe2.jpg
This is where I intend on connecting the above fitting to the plenum base, via a spark arrestor and PCV Valve
CrankVent.jpg
Where I have my crankcase vent fitted, along with the capped off Rover piping.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.