Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Type IV Porsche Engine
Posted by: roverman
Date: May 20, 2016 11:23AM

Perhaps someone here, has experience with these ? Yes I know, not too likely to find in a BSC.-but ? Plan is to use Scat individual heads, 76-78mm stroker crank, I make the 101.3mm alloy barrels,(nikisil).E85 fuel should help cooling, as with 911 type fan. Problem is, I have these Pankl Titanium rods, I MUST run,(too cute/light not to). Since the bolts install , heads on cap, they will likely bang the cam. Not likely viable to reduce the base circle enough to clear. Type IV has 11" push rods, ie. massive aluminum thingies ! I'm considering converting the heads to "overhead cam on follower". This would solve two big problems,(cam interference and clunky valve train), but with extra work involved. Anybody ? Thanks, roverman.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Type IV Porsche Engine
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: May 20, 2016 12:08PM

Art, did you just say P-p-p-orsche?! Such sacrilege. :)

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: May 20, 2016 04:47PM

Art,

Just say no to Porsche. The 911 fan conversion is a no go.
It uses double the horsepower to run vs the VW stuff. And it's a low pressure high volume design.
The VW engines have very restricive cooling passages that need the high pressure stock design fan.
Make sure that you retain the thermostat assy as well if you want your engine to stay alive.
You are right your "must have " rods will probably hit the cam.
Depending upon your use, those big clunky aluminum pushrods might be the best choice. For a street motor they follow the expansion rate of the motor better. For a race engine something stronger should be used.
There are some OHC conversions around. Most of the older ones used modified 911 parts.
I haven't followed any of the newer efforts but what about Subaru heads? Water cool the heads only and away you go.

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Posted by: roverman
Date: May 20, 2016 05:38PM

Thanks Fred, word on the street is to run Manton, tapered-wall chrome moly PR's. Hot lash the motor and check for "real close" at cold ? Yes, if I had any sense, I'd just bolt-in a Sub motor. Less pain, more gain ? Were I to use non Scat heads, this anchor has same bore spacing as 460 Ford, hmmmm. I have an as-cast head, arriving from Scat. Let the flow bench, games begin. Onward, roverman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.