Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Carb spitback, on fire, arrgh.
Posted by: 88v8
Date: December 17, 2016 03:21PM

Starting up today, no air cleaner, trouble shooting.
OK on choke, when I try to take it off choke, spitting back like mad, eventually the carb catches fire.

Factory Holley 2300 2bbl on an AMC 327. Backyard conversion to manual choke.

UK rhd car made for the UK market so it's sort of British V8.

New to Holleys. Read the manual. No wiser. What to do?

V8

pcmenten
Paul Menten

(242 posts)

10/08/2009 10:40AM

Main British Car:

Re: Carb spitback, on fire, arrgh.
Posted by: pcmenten
Date: December 17, 2016 05:55PM

You have a major vacuum leak. I would start disconnecting vacuum lines from the engine and don't stop when you've found one vacuum leak because you might have more than one.

One of the trickiest vacuum leaks was the power brake booster. Another tricky one is the vacuum advance on the distributor.

Don't overtighten the nuts that clamp the carburetor to the intake manifold because that will bend the base plate and create a vacuum leak.

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Re: Carb spitback, on fire, arrgh.
Posted by: 88v8
Date: January 15, 2017 02:49PM

It was... wrong fuel pressure, way too low. Less than 1 psi. PO had fitted an unsuitable electric pump.

And ...the wet fuel level was too high. When I took out the level plug, a torrent of petrol came out and washed the plug into the valley, never to be seen again. Luckily I had a spare.

And.... the timing was off. The timing pin had broken off the timing case, and someone had made a quite irrelevant lipstick mark in the wrong place, so the timing was 5 after TDC instead of 5 before.

One can't necessarily take things for granted when one buys a new car. Even though the PO had somehow driven it 70 miles to my home.

Ivor

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.